- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Pets
by Stacey Brecher
Fostering a cat is a great way to help your local animal shelter and make a cat's life a little better until it is adopted.
Every shelter has different requirements for fostering, so it's best to contact your local shelter in advance to ask questions. There are also many organizations that do not have buildings to house the animals, forcing all of the cats to be in foster homes.
According to Abbi Collins, adoptions manager of the Cat Care Society in Lakewood, Colo., there are different types of cats that need fostering. Kittens that are too young to adopt out, feral kittens that need socializing, and injured cats that need time to heal may need to spend time in a foster home, says Collins. Depending on the individual cat's needs, fostering can range from two to 10 weeks.
As a foster parent, you will be required to provide transportation to bring the cat to and from the shelter.
Depending on the organization, you may be asked to provide the pet supplies while the cat is in your home. If you are able, you can offer to help with some of the financial burden to aid the shelter.
When you first bring the foster cat home, Collins suggests confining it to a room without access to your other pets. "Animals from shelters may have illnesses that could pass on to others. Precautions should be taken to limit exposure between shelter animals and resident pets. Your pets may be required to be vaccinated and spayed/neutered," says Collins.
AUTOS | HOBBIES | EDUCATION | FAMILY | FASHION | FOOD & RECIPES | HOME DECOR | RELATIONSHIPS | PARENTING | PETS | TRAVEL | WOMEN
PET STORIES and PET ARTICLES ...
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Cats: How to Foster a Cat