Homemade Cat Toys
Homemade Cat Toys
Short on cash, but still want to entertain your cat? Get creative with a homemade cat toy. Kevin Kelly, author of Entertaining Your Indoor Cat: 50 Fun and Inventive Amusements for Your Cat, advises that "cats tend to get bored with the same toy after a while, and instead of constantly buying new, pricey gadgets for them, use something simple from around the house, like a tinfoil ball."
According to Kelly, other items from around your home that make great cat toys are "any piece of string or ribbon that you can dangle or drag across the floor -- empty cardboard boxes, empty paper towel or toilet paper rolls -- and hallways and doors for playing hide-and-go-seek." For the curious cat, open a cardboard box, lay the box on its side, cut a hole in the top and set it on the floor. Dangle a string with a ball or feather attached to it through the hole for your cat to swat at.
The toys you make for kittens and for older cats should differ.
"Kittens are fascinated by new, simple toys -- pulling a piece of string across the floor can keep a curious kitten happy for hours," says Kelly. "Adult cats get bored more quickly, so hiding little toys in new places for them to discover can be fun, or constructing differently shaped cardboard tunnels are good options for the jaded adult cat." He also recommends tossing ping-pong balls into the bathtub; cats love the clattering sound.
Use caution when making toys for your cat.
Avoid sharp or small, easy-to-swallow objects. Swallowing string can be very dangerous to cats, so always supervise your pet during playtime.
Stacey Brecher is an editor at Woman's World magazine, and a contributor to Animal Fair magazine.
Recent Pet Articles
- Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
- Are You Prepared for Dog Emergencies?
- Help Your Dog Cope With School Days
- Meet the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
- Play That Trains Your Puppy
- Inexpensive Ways to Keep Your Dog Cool
- Can a Dog Help Your Child Read?
- Best Dog Breeds for Kids
- Best Cat Breeds for Kids
- Determine Your Cat's Toy Preferences
- Do Cats Sing?
- Homemade Cat Toys
- The Best Dog Beaches - Coast to Coast
- Can You Leave Your Puppy Home Alone?
- Dog-friendly Games for the Whole Family
- Three Most Common Dog-related Allergies
- Why Do Cats Fear Dogs?
- Microfiber: Miracle Fabric Cats Won't Scratch
- Do Dogs Need Vitamin Supplements?
- How to Brush Your Dog's Teeth
- How to Introduce Your Kids and Puppy
- Dig the Dachshund
- Know Your Dog Park Etiquette
- The Chihuahua: Man's Best Amigo?
- Why Your Dog Needs DHA
- 15-minute Dog Massage
- Preventing Fleas -- Naturally
- How to Feed Your Ingredient-sensitive Dog
- DNA Testing Your Dog
- New Cat Feeders Help Solve Mealtime Problems
- 15-Minute Cat Massage
- Brain Exercises for Your Cat
- Make a Carrier Cat-friendly in 5 Easy Steps
- How to Keep Your Dog Cool
- Take Your Dog to a Ball Game
- What to Expect From Your Puppy
- Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer
- Protect Your Dog From a Deadly Summer Virus
- Summer Cat Care
- How to Keep Your Cat Properly Hydrated
- The Dangers and Risks for Outdoor Cats
- Animals Treasure Their Friends Too
- Backyard Dog Training Fun
- Train Your Dog to Go Fetch
- Choosing the Right Breed of Puppy
- Do's and Don'ts of Socializing Your Puppy
- How to Transition From Puppy Food to Adult Food
- Is Your Dog at Risk for Sunburn?
- Picking Safe Puppy Toys
- Can Your Cat Save Your Life?
- Essential Summer Safety Tips for Cats
- Organizations That Feed Cats When Owners Can't
- Gathering Information for Your Dog Sitter
- Organizations That Feed Dogs When Owners Can't
- Hope is Rising in the Fight Against FIP
- 5 Great Cat Twitter Accounts to Follow
- 5 Great Dog Twitter Accounts to Follow
- The Right Diet for Your Athletic Dog
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Fireworks Are Fun For Humans, But Can Terrorize Pets
- Go Green With Your Cat
- Mother's Milk Influences Kitten Food
- Take Great Photos of Your Cat
- Take Great Photos of Your Dog
- 9 Key Ingredients That Nourish Growing Puppies
- Understanding Your Dog's Mealtime Behavior
- Which Flea or Tick Products Should You Buy? Well, It Depends
- Do Cats Really Prefer Women?
- Business Management the Dog Way
- Train Your Dog Properly
- Big Fun for Little Dogs
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.