by Stacey Brecher
Short on cash, but still want to entertain your cat? Get creative with a homemade cat toy. Kevin Kelly, author of Entertaining Your Indoor Cat: 50 Fun and Inventive Amusements for Your Cat, advises that "cats tend to get bored with the same toy after a while, and instead of constantly buying new, pricey gadgets for them, use something simple from around the house, like a tinfoil ball."
According to Kelly, other items from around your home that make great cat toys are "any piece of string or ribbon that you can dangle or drag across the floor -- empty cardboard boxes, empty paper towel or toilet paper rolls -- and hallways and doors for playing hide-and-go-seek." For the curious cat, open a cardboard box, lay the box on its side, cut a hole in the top and set it on the floor. Dangle a string with a ball or feather attached to it through the hole for your cat to swat at.
The toys you make for kittens and for older cats should differ.
"Kittens are fascinated by new, simple toys -- pulling a piece of string across the floor can keep a curious kitten happy for hours," says Kelly. "Adult cats get bored more quickly, so hiding little toys in new places for them to discover can be fun, or constructing differently shaped cardboard tunnels are good options for the jaded adult cat." He also recommends tossing ping-pong balls into the bathtub; cats love the clattering sound.
Use caution when making toys for your cat.
Avoid sharp or small, easy-to-swallow objects. Swallowing string can be very dangerous to cats, so always supervise your pet during playtime.
Stacey Brecher is an editor at Woman's World magazine, and a contributor to Animal Fair magazine.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Cats: Homemade Cat Toys