by The Daily Cat
That depends on how technical you get with the definition of "singing." It can just refer to making or performing musical sounds. Cats do that all of the time, when they meow or even howl in a melodic way, but scientists don't usually refer to these behaviors as singing.
Bats, rodents, whales, some fish, grasshoppers, and humans -- as well as other animals -- are known to have their own songs. For example, Kirsten Bohn, Mike Smotherman and their colleagues in the Texas A&M Department of Biology determined that certain male bats have very distinguishable syllables and phrases that they use as songs to attract females, and in some cases, to warn other males to stay away. Says Bohn: "We've learned the vocal production of bats is very specific and patterned." That's important, because it puts bats on a short list with whales, birds, humans and a handful of other animals that create specific, repeatable songs.
Cats are not usually mentioned on such lists, probably because their communications rely so strongly on other non-audible factors, such as body language, touch and scent. They do, however, possess an "extensive vocal repertory," according to Jacque Lynn Schultz, companion animal programs adviser for ASPCA National Shelter Outreach. This wide range of cat sounds -- permitting cats to express their emotional state -- includes meowing, caterwauling (such as before fights), chattering, growling, purring and, last but not least, screaming.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Pets | Cats: Do Cats Sing?