by The Daily Cat
Cats, in general, are said to be the Rip Van Winkles of the animal world. On average, most cats sleep between 17 and 18 hours a day. That amounts to two-thirds of your cat's entire life. The behavior goes back to your cat's wild feline ancestors, which needed to conserve valuable energy in between hunts.
However, at least five different factors can influence how long an individual cat sleeps. Arden Moore, author of The Cat Behavior Answer Book: Practical Insights & Proven Solutions for Your Feline, goes over some of these.
Boredom can indeed cause cats to sleep for longer periods, according to Moore. As it does in humans, inactivity can promote sluggishness and depression in cats. Without stimulating activities, both cats and humans can sink into longer sleep cycles. It's therefore very important to regularly play with your cat, offering new toys and games to explore. Social stimulation is key.
Other reasons why cats may sleep more include the following:
Kittens need more sleep than adults do, similar to how human babies sleep longer than men and women do.
Do rainy days make you feel sleepy? The different light levels and other factors seem to promote longer snoozing. This is true for cats as well.
How Safe They Feel
If you are anxious, you may have trouble sleeping. The same happens to cats. So if a new dog, person or other addition is stressing out your cat, chances are that your pet is sleeping less soundly.
- Is Your Dog Cut out for Field Trials?
- Should You Crate-train Your Puppy?
- How to Play Soccer With Your Dog
- The Best Way for Your Dog to Ride in the Car with You
- Good Dog Park Etiquette
- What Is Freestyle Dancing With Dogs?
- Canicross: An Easier Way to Run With Your Dog
- Reading Your Dog's Body Language
- Kitten Kindergarten
- Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe While Flying
- Keep Your Dog Warm in the Winter
- Scottish Deerhound: The Ideal Exercise Buddy
- Teach Your Dog to Fetch
- Is Your Dog Bored?
- 7 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- The Best Games to Play With Your High-Energy Dog
- Dog Feeding Mishaps Corrected
- How to Succeed at Off-Leash Dog Play
- ID Your Relationship With Your Cat
- Photographing Your Elusive Feline
- How to Keep Your Pet Safe During the Holidays
- When Good Dogs Turn Bad
- From Finicky Fido to Chowhound Charlie
- Insure Your Kitty's Health
- Unconditional Love: My Cat Forgives Me Every Day
- From Feline to Family Member
- Is Water From a Christmas Tree Stand Harmful to Cats?
- A Day in the Life of a Sheepherding Dog
- Go on a Desert Retreat With Your Dog
- Dog Food Goes Natural and Holistic
- Determining a Food Allergy
- Exercise Gone to the Dogs
- Find the Right Sport for Your Dog
- Make Your Dog a Part of Your Wedding
- Hydrotherapy Helps Dogs Get in Shape
- How Your Cat Says 'I Love You'
- Lost Cats Found
- De-stress Veterinary Visits for Your Cat
- Keeping Cat Food Fresh
- Second-Hand Cat, First-Rate Pet
Copyright © All rights reserved.
Pets | Cats: Do Bored Cats Sleep More?