Elite Eli Named Super Bowl XLVI MVP
New York Giants 21 New England Patriots 17
Super Bowl XLVI: Giants 21 Patriots 17
New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning was voted the winner of the Pete Rozelle Trophy, awarded to the Super Bowl XLVI Most Valuable Player.
The award is chosen by a panel comprised of 16 members of the Pro Football Writers Association of America, selected members of the electronic broadcast media and interactively through the National Football League's official website, NFL.com. Manning collected 18.5 votes of the possible 20 cast in the MVP voting process.
Manning hit nine different receiving targets and completed 30 of 40 passes for 296 yards and one touchdown for a passer rating of 103.8. Manning rallied the Giants from a 17-9 third-quarter deficit while leading scoring drives on three of the team's four second-half possessions.
Manning, in his eighth season, orchestrated an 88-yard touchdown drive that began at the Giants' 12 yard-line with 3:53 left in the game. On the first play of the drive, he connected with wide receiver Mario Manningham on a 38-yard completion along the Patriots' sideline. The pass completion was the longest by either quarterback in Super Bowl XLVI. Manning completed five of six passes for 74 yards on the drive, which ended when running back Ahmad Bradshaw scored on a six-yard touchdown run with :57 remaining that put the Giants ahead 21-17 (two-point conversion failed).
Manning began Super Bowl XLVI by completing his first nine passes for 76 yards and a two-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Victor Cruz that gave the Giants a 9-0 lead. The nine straight completions set a Super Bowl record for consecutive completions to begin a Super Bowl. In the first half of play, Manning completed 13 of 17 passes for 120 yards and a touchdown.
Manning is the first New York Giants player to win the Super Bowl MVP multiple times, having also been voted the MVP of Super Bowl XLII.
Previous Giants Super Bowl MVPs include quarterback Phil Simms (Super Bowl XXI), running back Ottis Anderson (Super Bowl XXV) and Manning (Super Bowl XLII).
Eli Manning is the fifth player in NFL history to win multiple Super Bowl MVP honors (Joe Montana, three; Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw and Bart Starr, two).
Eli: I didn't want a touchdown
Cris Collinsworth on Eli Manning:
"How brilliant can Easy-Eli be? And he will never again have to answer questions, 'Do you consider yourself and elite quarterback and in Tom Brady's class?'" Rodney Harrison on Eli Manning: "We knew this game was going to come down to the fourth quarter, and everyone thought I was crazy a week ago when I said I trust Eli Manning more in the fourth quarter than I did Tom Brady. I think you saw tonight why I said that. Tom Brady had a couple opportunities, missed some opportunities down the field. Eli didn't. He won this football game." Tony Dungy on Eli Manning: "I was in New York with the Giants last week and every defensive player told me how much confidence they had in Eli Manning. Justin Tuck said, 'We know if we can just get that stop in the fourth quarter Eli will win it for us.' And he proved them right tonight."
- Super again! Giants Take Title in Squeaker over Patriots
- Elite Eli Named Super Bowl XLVI MVP
- Eli Manning Walks the Walk
- Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin on Winning
- Eli Manning News Conference
- Cars, Canines and Kids Rule Super Bowl Ads
- Madonna: Queen of Super Bowl XLVI
- Finger 'Malfunction' Flap at Super Bowl
- Americans Consume 1.25 Billion Wings During Super Bowl
- Super Bowl XLVI Most-Watched TV Show Of All Time
- Super Bowl XLVI Game Summary
- Hour-Long Walk-Through Caps Patriots Practice
- Giants Ahmad Bradshaw Held Out of Friday's Practice
- Gronkowski Return Highlights Patriots Super Bowl XLVI Practice
- Manning On Target Throughout Giants Second Super Bowl Practice
- Super Bowl XLVI by the Numbers
- Oddsmakers Favor God, Family for Super Bowl Thanks
- Hottest 2012 Super Bowl Souvenir is a Hand-Knit Scarf
- Joe Namath Feels 'Awful' About Fraying Jets Bond
- Super Bowl XLVI Preview
- Super Bowl XLVI Game Capsules
- Getting To Super Bowl XLVI Last Minute Costs Plenty
- Giants Safety Rolle Confident in Super Bowl Chances
- 15 Percent Would Miss Birth of Child for Super Bowl
- Tynes Time: 31 Yard Field Goal Lifts Giants Over Niners in OT
- Patriots Survive: Advance to Super Bowl with Win Over Ravens
- Playoff Records, Facts, Figures and Milestones
- Regular Season Records and Milestones
- Record-Breaking Regular Season Had It All
- Super Bowl Ads Sold Out
Copyright 2012, iHaveNet.com