The World's Top 10 Most Legendary Bars
The Pub Valletta
Whether dive or divine, the bars, pubs and taverns of the world hold as much history as any museum, present as much drama as any theater, and spark as much creativity as any academic institution. With this in mind the members and editors of travel website VirtualTourist.com have compiled their list of the "World's Top 10 Most Legendary Bars."
1. HARRY'S BAR,
It's been said that since the bar's opening in 1931, management has kept one and only one guestbook, but considering the names that are in it, one is plenty.
2. THE BLIND BEGGAR,
With one brutal murder already behind it, The Blind Beggar became even more notorious when in 1966 London mobster
3. WHITE HORSE TAVERN,
A favorite of
4. GAROTA DE IPANEMA,
When a 15-year-old girl made a stroll past the Veloso bar part of her daily walk to the beach, she inspired two song-writing patrons to pen possibly the most famous Bossa Nova tune in history. Not surprisingly, the bar's owners made the wise decision to capitalize on the success by renaming the business.
5. THE PUB, VALLETTA, MALTA
The walls of this simple bar are covered in pictures, newspaper clippings and impromptu tributes to British actor
6. HEINOLDS' FIRST AND LAST CHANCE BAR,
The slanted floors and stopped clock in
7. LONG BAR, RAFFLES HOTEL,
Home to the famous Singapore Sling, the Long Bar still serves the drink that gained it international notoriety. Equally notable is the Raffle's Writer's Bar, created as a tribute to the wordsmiths who either frequented or included the hotel in their work.
8. THE EAGLE AND CHILD,
Still called "Bird and Baby" by locals who remember the bar's first moniker, this quaint-looking pub was a favorite of J.R.R. Tolkien and
9. BELL-IN-HAND TAVERN,
With the exception of a brief closure during prohibition, the alcohol has been flowing at Bell-in-Hand for more than 200 years. Once the hangout of notables like
The only bar on the list no longer in existence, Fink's was noted for sticking to its "treat everyone equally" ethos on an almost fanatical level. In fact, legend has it that the owner not only denied
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- What's New in Germany and Austria for 2011
- What's New in Britain and Ireland for 2011
- Mountain Resorts Make Skiing a Family Affair
- Taking the Kids: When the Best-Laid Plans Go Awry
- Taking the Kids: Adventures by Disney Takes to the Seas
- The World's Top 10 Chocolate Museums
- The World's Top 10 Most Legendary Bars
- Orbitz vs. American Airlines: the Traveler is the Loser
- 'Best' Hotels -- The Latest from TripAdvisor
- TripAdvisor Adds Airline Reviews
- Considering Europe? Pro-Active Searching is Best
- Out-of-this-World Flights
- What's New in France and Spain for 2011
- Taking the Kids: When Grandparents Lead the Way on an Adventure
- Does the Secure Flight Program Mean More Money For Airlines?
- Southwest's New Frequent Flyer Program: the Consumer View
- AARP 2011: More Than Just Hotel Deals
- Top 10 Places to Find Great Subway Art
- What's New in Italy? Less Chaos and Smoother Visits
- 'Airline of the Year'? Maybe; Maybe Not
- Need an Airline Ticket? Meta-search is Where Most Travelers Start
- Top 10 Sexiest Buildings and Structures
- Taking the Kids and Learning a Snow Sport
- Winter Thrills in the Alps
- The Social Network Hits the Ski Slopes
- Avoiding Nasty Winter Travel Surprises
- Taking the Kids and Remembering Stellar Trips to Get Up Close to Nature
- Cruising in 2011
- Finding a Toilet in Europe
- World's Top 10 Wild Rides
- Top 10 Artist Homes and Studios
- Air New Zealand's 777-300LR - A Look at the Future?
- Who Had the Worst Customer Service in 2010?
- Heightened TSA Security Is Necessary to Keep Us Safe
- TSA Has Its Security Priorities in the Wrong Place
- In 2010, the DOT Heard Our SOS
- AmEx Platinum: Expensive but Some Good New Extras
- Taking the Kids and Checking Out the Holiday Lights
- Christmas Trees and Manger Scenes
- Taking the Kids and Giving the Elves a Hand for the Traveling Family
- Terranea Resort Brings Mediterranean Style and Elegance
- The World's Top 10 Greatest Ceilings
- Passengers Say They Miss Luggage-Inclusive Airfares the Most
- Driving Home for the Holidays? You'll Get There -- Eventually
- The New Travelex Chip Card -- OK, But Not Great
- Plunging Into North England's Lake District
- Milan: A Big Italian Surprise
- Taking the Kids and Visiting Museums
- Taking the Kids To Puerto Rico
- New Online Destination Planning Program Tops the List
- Top 10 Unusual Things to Do at the Airport
- World's Top 10 Eccentric Constructions
- Ten Great Animal Statues
- With a Little Help From the TSA, 2011 Could Be a Flat Year for Travel
- Are Customized Prices Next for the Travel Industry
- Can't Use Your Miles? Give Them Away!
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Taking the Kids to a Ranch in Winter
- Slovakia: Booming Bratislava
- How Safe is a Cruise?
- Disney Turns to Guests to Promote Theme Parks
- World's Top 10 Ugliest Buildings
- 10 Fascinating Place Symbols
- What's Behind All Those Airline Change Fees?
- Taking the Kids and De-Stressing the Holidays
- Taking the Kids and Grabbing a Pre-Holiday Break
- Verdun, France: A Lesson About War
- Airline 'Code-Shares' Not Really 'Seamless'
- Taking the Kids to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
- Taking the Kids to Kauai Hawaii
- Taking the Kids to Steamboat Springs Colorado
- Welsh Magic
- The World's Top 10 Most Legendary Bars
- European Restaurant Rules
- The Biggest Travel Gouge
- Online Travel Planning: For Real?
- Onboard Internet: Lots More Coming
- A La Carte Pricing: Coming to Cruises?
- Do They Hate Us?
- Are Travelers Overloaded By Social Media?
- Paying Up Front for Rental Car Nicks and Scratches
(c) 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here