Walking Tours Bring Europe's Cities to Life
Rothenburg's Night Watchman
Rothenburg's Night Watchman walking tours offer the most compelling hour of medieval wonder anywhere in Germany.
It was my last day in
Walking tours are my favorite introduction to a city. Inexpensive and usually in English, they are led by well-trained guides who choose to show you their town with the goal of giving you an appreciation of its history, people, and culture.
In big cities, walking tours are a great way to get oriented, often zeroing in on the historic core. For about eight bucks,
Many cities have walks that focus on particular neighborhoods or themes. For instance,
Insiders run some of the best walking tours.
Equally enjoyable is a stroll through
Night walks can be an enchanting -- or eerie -- way to experience a city. In
For some cheap thrills, Auld Reekie Tours in
A few warnings about walking tours: These can vary in quality, so do some research before signing up. Also, be wary of "free" tours that are offered in cities such as
One of my biggest pet peeves is when guides tell stories, without tying those events to the surrounding wealth of visuals. A good walking tour shouldn't just recount facts and trivia. It should connect you vividly to the place you're in -- and to the people living there, past and present. And when that happens, a walking tour is money and vacation time very well spent.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Walking Tours Bring Europe's Cities to Life
- Taking the Kids to Oahu Beyond Waikiki
- Taking the Kids and Flying Safely with Young Children
- Travel Essential: Suitcase Guide
- Are Loyalty Programs Worth It?
- Big Exhibit? Avoid Lines and Hassle
- The Continental - United Merger: What's New
- Munich: Metropolis with Small-Town Charm
- Grown Ups Have as Much Fun Aboard Disney Magic as Kids
- Coping with Europe's 'Season of Strikes'
- 'Private Sale' Sites: Deals on Luxury Hotels and Cruises
- 7 Clauses to Beware of in Your Cruise Contract
- Glamour Camping
- Flying? Get on the Web
- Glamour Camping
- Spain: Parties and Processions in Andalucia
- London: Taming London in a Week
- Taking the Kids to Mesa Verde National Park
- Fall Vacation Travel: A Great Season
- Airfare Searches: Know the Right Places
- 'Tax Free' Airport Stores: Bargain or Hype?
- Organize a Tour and Travel for 'Free' But with Strings
- Oh No You Didn't! 5 Ways Travelers Have Lost Their Manners
- Travel Complaints That Fail: 5 Kinds of Emails You Should Never Write
- Air Travelers Let Your Voices Be Heard
- Car Rentals: You Missed the Scratch on the Roof
- Hey, What Happened to My Internet Connection?
- Taking the Kids RVing in Colorado
- Taking the Kids to Nantucket
- Praying and Partying in the Streets of Istanbul
- Revenge of the Hotel Clerks: Things They Do to Difficult Guests
- Sorry We Forgot About That $500 Change Fee
- Beware of Tour Operator 'Savings' Claims
- New Vacation Rental and Hotel Options
- Steven Slater Airline Meltdown Hardly a Surprise
Taking the Kids to Boston
Time Traveling Back in History in Boston
- Stockholm's Island Getaways
- Shorter Vacations? Tighter Budgets? Welcome to the New 'Normal' in Travel
- Do You Really Want to Take Your Pets Along?
- Travel Taxes: Bad, Getting Worse
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Rambling Through the Ruins of Europe's Castles
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- Eco-Friendly Camping is About Putting Nature First
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Fall Travel Bargains Will Abound and Here's Where to Find Them
- If It's Called Secure Flight, Why Do I Feel So Insecure?
- Using Opaque Travel Web Sites Effectively
- Eldergadget: Creative or Condescending?
- Communing with Nature in Austria's Hallstatt
- Barefoot in Venice Italy
- Lisbon: Portugal's Salty Capital
- Irish Soul Music
- Biking in Europe: A Bridge Over Cultural Barriers
- Verona Italy: City of Romance
- France: Basking in France's Dordogne River Valley
- Salzburg: An Austrian Symphony
- Taking the Kids Aboard the Newest Megaship Epic
- 6 Tips for Taking a Summer 'Daycation'
- Ticket? Check. Bag? Check. Insurance? Pre-check
- Warning: Tour Operators Can Still Fail
- Go Camping and Bring the Kids
- On-the-road Rx: Family Vacation Safety Tips
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- How Much Should We Tip These Days?
- Advance Baggage Shipment: Does it Make Any Sense
- Airline Passengers Get Chance to Be Heard on Proposed Regulations
- Best 'Value' Destination Cities
- One-Sided Cruise Contracts
- Salzburg Austria: Stage Of The World
- 10 Best Bargains in Salzburg
- Germany's Mix of Perfume Chocolate and God
- Krakow: Poland's Historic and Cultural Gem
- Europe this Summer: Mixed Bag of News
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
(c) 2010 Rick Steves' Europe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here