Top 10 Travel Goals for Serious Travelers
While the average tourist may not think much further ahead than his or her next trip, serious travelers often direct their travel toward a specific goal; a goal that, in many cases, could take years or even a lifetime to complete. VirtualTourist.com asked its members and editors what travel goals they were going after and the list ranged from the funny to the fantastical.
1. SEEING 100 COUNTRIES
Only those who accomplish this goal can achieve membership in
2. RUNNING OUT OF PASSPORT PAGES
Applying for new passport pages may be the one hassle every traveler dreams about. Like a Girl Scout who needs an extra sash for all her merit pins, this is truly a point of pride for the avid traveler.
3. SEEING UNRECOGNIZED AND/OR INDEPENDENT REGIONS
While many people may not even be aware of such places, for some, there's nothing more satisfying than setting foot in a place that can't be easily categorized. Karabakh, Somaliland, Transnistria, among others, were named as top choices.
The sheer beauty of the spectacle combined with the fact that this phenomenon happens in just a few parts of the world puts this experience near the top of the list for those travelers who love the natural world. While filmable, it's said that Mother Nature's lightshow is best seen in person.
5. CLIMBING THE HIGHEST POINTS IN EACH COUNTRY OR STATE VISITED
Even for non-climbers the goal of seeing a country from its highest point is often just too irresistible not to try. From small elevations to points that take days to reach, the lure of the summit motivates many travelers.
6. ACQUIRING CERTAIN PASSPORT STAMPS
Yes, for the travel-obsessed passport stamps can be like paintings in a museum with some being more prized than others. Those with unusual marks (like a train instead of a plane) or those that are from unusual places (like Lichtenstein) are among those most valued.
7. SEEING THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (WITHOUT THE USE OF PLANES!)
8. SEE ALL SEVEN CONTINENTS
This might not be so unattainable if it weren't for that pesky, cold, and hard-to-get-to one at the bottom of the globe. In fact, this particular goal may be about to get harder as many companies that offer trips to
9. DRIVE ROUTE 66
The lure of this particular open road has grabbed many a traveler, inspired many a writer and tested the mechanics of many a car. Whether it's the long stretch of highway, the fact that it spans the length of
10. SEE THE NORTH AND/OR SOUTH POLES
Some people just can't resist going to the ends of the earth -- literally! There's not much to see in either place and it can be very pricey to visit, but still, the appeal of seeing those points far eclipse the negatives for those willing to make the trek.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Taking the Kids: Exploring the New Disney Dream Family Cruising
- France: Lessons From a Parisian Wine-Tasting
- Hotel Maya Long Beach, California: The Little Resort That Could
- Top 10 Travel Goals for Serious Travelers
- Hotels Are Charging Even More for What Should Be Free
- What I Learned and Re-Learned On My Trip
- Which Airline Ratings Do You Trust?
- Overbooked Flights: Bidding for Bumping
- What's New in Germany and Austria for 2011
- What's New in Britain and Ireland for 2011
- Mountain Resorts Make Skiing a Family Affair
- Taking the Kids: When the Best-Laid Plans Go Awry
- Taking the Kids: Adventures by Disney Takes to the Seas
- The World's Top 10 Chocolate Museums
- The World's Top 10 Most Legendary Bars
- Orbitz vs. American Airlines: the Traveler is the Loser
- 'Best' Hotels -- The Latest from TripAdvisor
- TripAdvisor Adds Airline Reviews
- Considering Europe? Pro-Active Searching is Best
- Out-of-this-World Flights
- What's New in France and Spain for 2011
- Taking the Kids: When Grandparents Lead the Way on an Adventure
- Does the Secure Flight Program Mean More Money For Airlines?
- Southwest's New Frequent Flyer Program: the Consumer View
- AARP 2011: More Than Just Hotel Deals
- Top 10 Places to Find Great Subway Art
- What's New in Italy? Less Chaos and Smoother Visits
- 'Airline of the Year'? Maybe; Maybe Not
- Need an Airline Ticket? Meta-search is Where Most Travelers Start
- Top 10 Sexiest Buildings and Structures
- Taking the Kids and Learning a Snow Sport
- Winter Thrills in the Alps
- The Social Network Hits the Ski Slopes
- Avoiding Nasty Winter Travel Surprises
- Taking the Kids and Remembering Stellar Trips to Get Up Close to Nature
- Cruising in 2011
- Finding a Toilet in Europe
- World's Top 10 Wild Rides
- Top 10 Artist Homes and Studios
- Air New Zealand's 777-300LR - A Look at the Future?
- Who Had the Worst Customer Service in 2010?
- Heightened TSA Security Is Necessary to Keep Us Safe
- TSA Has Its Security Priorities in the Wrong Place
- In 2010, the DOT Heard Our SOS
- AmEx Platinum: Expensive but Some Good New Extras
- Taking the Kids and Checking Out the Holiday Lights
- Christmas Trees and Manger Scenes
- Taking the Kids and Giving the Elves a Hand for the Traveling Family
- Terranea Resort Brings Mediterranean Style and Elegance
- The World's Top 10 Greatest Ceilings
- Passengers Say They Miss Luggage-Inclusive Airfares the Most
- Driving Home for the Holidays? You'll Get There -- Eventually
- The New Travelex Chip Card -- OK, But Not Great
- Plunging Into North England's Lake District
- Milan: A Big Italian Surprise
- Taking the Kids and Visiting Museums
- Taking the Kids To Puerto Rico
- New Online Destination Planning Program Tops the List
- Top 10 Unusual Things to Do at the Airport
- World's Top 10 Eccentric Constructions
- Ten Great Animal Statues
- With a Little Help From the TSA, 2011 Could Be a Flat Year for Travel
- Are Customized Prices Next for the Travel Industry
- Can't Use Your Miles? Give Them Away!
- 10 Ways to Stay Healthy During Holiday Travel
- Taking the Kids to a Ranch in Winter
- Slovakia: Booming Bratislava
- How Safe is a Cruise?
- Disney Turns to Guests to Promote Theme Parks
- World's Top 10 Ugliest Buildings
- 10 Fascinating Place Symbols
- What's Behind All Those Airline Change Fees?
- Taking the Kids and De-Stressing the Holidays
- Taking the Kids and Grabbing a Pre-Holiday Break
- Verdun, France: A Lesson About War
- Airline 'Code-Shares' Not Really 'Seamless'
- Taking the Kids to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
- Taking the Kids to Kauai Hawaii
- Taking the Kids to Steamboat Springs Colorado
- Welsh Magic
- Top 10 Travel Goals for Serious Travelers
- European Restaurant Rules
- The Biggest Travel Gouge
- Online Travel Planning: For Real?
- Onboard Internet: Lots More Coming
- A La Carte Pricing: Coming to Cruises?
- Do They Hate Us?
- Are Travelers Overloaded By Social Media?
- Paying Up Front for Rental Car Nicks and Scratches
(c) 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here