Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers
Whether we've (regretfully) chosen them as our travel companions or just can't seem to stop running into them, annoying travelers can make hours feels like days and days feel like prison. Depending on the severity of the offender they can be just an annoyance or actually end up marring the trip, so with this in mind the members and editors of travel website VirtualTourist.com have compiled this list of the "Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers."
ON THE PLANE:
1. The Perfume/
Few circumstances can make a flight seem longer than sitting next to someone who smells like the first floor of a department store. We don't know why someone would feel the need to spray themselves down in scent right before boarding a relatively small, enclosed space with re-circulated air, but there's at least one on every flight.
2. The Last Man Standing
This person boards the plane and rather than take a seat, stands in the aisle nonchalantly arranging every piece of travel gear they've brought with them. They dig for magazines, finish calls, retrieve things they've already stowed in the overhead compartment; in short, they do just about everything but let other boarding passengers pass.
3. The Walking Petri Dish
With as many maladies as this person has it's amazing they were allowed on the plane. The sneezing, coughing, and sniffling never stops ... until, of course, the plane lands.
4. The Passive Parent
Although it's children who fuss on planes, it's negligent parents who seem to draw the most ire from travelers. Most are willing to excuse an inadvertent kick from a restless kid, but have no patience for the adult who won't take action.
5. The Nervous Nellie
This person could make the pilot afraid to fly. Rocking, drinking, hyperventilating, and sometimes even crying, he or she white knuckles the whole trip. They hear sounds no one else hears, they keep asking the flight attendant how much time is left, and wig out at the slightest hint of turbulence.
6. The Hair Puller
This person sits behind you, gets up about every 10 minutes, and insists on using the back of your seat as support, grabbing a clump of your wayward hair with them every single time.
ON THE GROUND:
7. The Group That Won't Take a Group Photo
They can see the lines of people waiting to stand in front of the (INSERT MAJOR MONUMENT NAME HERE) but still, they insist on taking each other's pictures individually. Depending on the size of the group, this can take a shockingly long time.
8. The "Anglais or the Highway" Traveler
This is the person who refuses to accept there is any other language other than English spoken anywhere in the world. They lose patience with non-English-speaking clerks, neglect learning the most basic phrases in the local tongue, and won't go to any restaurant that won't provide a translated menu.
9. The Malcontent
Why does this person even bother to travel? A frighteningly heightened version of the English-obsessed traveler, this person is happy with absolutely nothing. They don't like the food, they don't like the local schedule, and they can't stop talking about how much better things are "at home" -- a place they would have been better off staying.
10. The Tour Talker
Your tour guide is a walking encyclopedia of the site you're seeing, but you'll never know that because the guy next to you won't stop talking. No amount of shushing, dirty looks, or even polite requests will stop him from yakking over the tour guide so take consolation in the fact that you can always buy the guidebook later.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Taking the Kids to the Grand Canyon
- Nicaragua's Wheel of Fortune
- Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers
- Frequent Flier Program Changes You Can Root For
- Tour Packages a Better Deal -- Really?
- Spring Break in a Day
- Sunday Morning: Vienna-Style
- The Top 'Quality' Airline
- Top 10 Architecturally Stunning Libraries
- Taking the Kids: When a Return Trip Makes You Smile at the Memories
- Airlines Fall in Love with Fuel Surcharges All Over
- How to Plan a Multifamily Vacation
- European Trains: Still a Great Way to Travel
- Renting a Car in Europe
- Taking the Kids: Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii to Try to Make Sense of Ancient History
- Don't Ignore Travel Scam Warnings
- Top Ten Flower Markets
- The Travel Industry Moves to Pre-empt Customer Complaints
- Ten Great Movie Theaters Across the Globe
- A Matter of Taste: Europeans on American Food
- When the Fuel Surcharge Costs More Than the Ticket
- When You're Really, Really Footloose
- Continental and United Airlines Closer than Ever
- Taking the Kids: Looking For Those Unique Moments in Orlando
- Slovenia Offers Up Charm Without the Crowds
- 10 Great Cities For Night Owls
- Stop Obsessing Over Airfares and Book Now
- Airport Lounges for the Rest of Us
- Athens, Greece: Offbeat Athens
- Taking the Kids: Putting on the Ritz in Ski Country
- A Few New Websites and Gimmicks
- Six Cards You Need on Your Trip
- 10 Great Places for Dogs and Dog Lovers
- Mandatory Housekeeping Fees May Be Just Around the Corner
- Taking the Kids to Atlantis
- Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters
- Cheap Sleeps in Europe
- Indexed Airfares: Deception or Deal?
- Top 10 Easy Rules of Traveling
- Top 10 Places for Afternoon Tea in London
- US Airways Closes a Loophole But Opens a Can of Worms
- United Airlines Sticks with Economy Plus
- TSA Screenings Prompt Cries of Police-State Tactics
- Finding a Good Cruise Agent
- An Inside and Outside Look at Madrid
- Looking at Europe: Part 2
- World's Top Ten Circular Buildings and Structures
- Will This Be the Year for Passenger Rights?
- Delta Drops Mileage Expiration
- Taking the Kids: But Not on an Adult-Only Romantic Getaway
- Taking the Kids: On a Different Spring Break
- Top 5 Vehicles for Ski Week
- Taking the Kids: Learning to Scuba Dive
- World's Top 10 Scariest Places to Look Down
- Top 10 Amenities Travelers Wish Still Existed
- Blockbuster Art Exhibit? Get a Package?
- Taking the Kids To Broadway - 2011
- Discovering Oslo's Inner Tiger
- Losing It All ... and Bouncing Back
- Delta Airlines Opts for Semi-Premium Economy
- 'Easier' Frequent Flyer Seats? Yes -- and No!
(c) 2011 VirtualTourist.com, Distributed by Tribune Media Services Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here