Time to Plan for Fall Vacation
By now, if you haven't arranged a major summer trip, you probably won't go, and instead plan to travel in the fall. Overall, that's often a good idea -- traveling when workaday folks are otherwise tied up has some advantages. Here are my suggestions for planning that fall trip, and when to make your decisions and arrangements.
WHERE TO GO.
In the fall --
Fall is also the slowest season of the year in the offshore beach destinations in the
GET THE TIMING RIGHT.
You can decide where you want to go anytime. But the best time to buy varies depending on what you're buying:
Mid-June is probably a bit too early to score your best airfare deal for September through mid-December. The main current "sales" cover travel just through July. Instead, keep up with whatever sources you use to notify you of air deals, and wait to buy until you see a good promotion that includes the period when you want to travel. I don't see any major risks in waiting for an airfare sale: Fares are already about as high as the market will allow, and you can almost count on doing better with a good promotion.
Some good deals are already available, but major hotel chains seem to be following the airlines' lead in mounting short-fuse promotions. Currently, for example,
The fourth quarter of the year is generally the slowest in the cruise business. Even list prices are low, and the big online cruise agencies are already showing some really good rates for September through December in the
If you plan to buy travel insurance, be sure to buy within a few days after you make an initial payment. That way, you can avoid hassles over "preexisting medical conditions" and also be able to buy "cancel for any reason" coverage should you want it.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- How to Bargain at Europe's Markets
- Finding a Beach Bargain in the Caribbean and Hawaii
- Taming High Destination Costs
- 10 Best Ice Cream Shops in the World
- Housekeeping Secrets of Your Hotel Towels
- Time to Plan for Fall Vacation
- Smile! It's Summer Vacation
- Is It Any Wonder When Airline Passengers Go Berserk?
- Exploring Europe's Natural Wonders
- Taking the Kids to Baltimore
- Taking the Kids to Orlando for the First Time
- 10 Best Hostels in the World
- What Are the Best Summer Vacation Travel Tips?
- Enjoy a Summer Festival Without Paying Too Much
- Expedia Ties Up with Groupon -- More Good Deals Coming?
- The Oltrepo Pavese: Milan's Secret Tuscany Hinterland
- France's D-Day Beaches: A Powerful Memorial
- Taking the Kids On Road Trips Despite Sky-High Gas Prices
- 10 Most Unique Fountains in the World
- Should Tarmac-Delay Rules Become Law?
- Are Mobile Devices Now Travel Essentials?
- Delta Airlines Adds Semi-Premium Economy
- Croatia's Coastal Delights
- Taking the Kids and Opting For a Small Boutique Hotel
- The 10 Best Open-Air Theaters Across the Globe
- Travelers Rights in Europe
- Airline Rules Were Meant to Be Broken By Elites
- Life Among the Ruins of Budapest
- Top 10 Sensational Summer Music Festivals
- More on the 'Myth' of Unchanged Hotel Bed Sheets
- You Hate Airline Fees and Tight Seats -- Who Knew?
- Taking the Kids to San Francisco's Museums
- Taking the Kids on a Cruise to Europe
- Italy's Ravenna: Once Powerful and Still Glorious
- Top 10 Things to Do in London
- Some People Just Know How to Fly and Some Don't
- Taking the Kids On a Safe and Green Trip to Mexico's Riviera Maya
- Traveling to Europe with Kids
- The Great Passport Flap
- Top 10 Arches
- The Truth About 'Hidden' Airline Fees
- 'Rule 240' Weak, But Not Dead
- Spain's Granada: Moor Than the Sum of its Parts
- Taking the Kids to Monterey
- 10 Great American Street Painting Festivals
- Hotels Don't Always Change the Sheets Between Guests
- Summer Trip? Check Your Plastic
- Frontier Airlines Lowers Change Fees
- Taking the Kids to the Grand Canyon
- Nicaragua's Wheel of Fortune
- Top 10 Most Annoying Kinds of Travelers
- Frequent Flier Program Changes You Can Root For
- Tour Packages a Better Deal -- Really?
- Spring Break in a Day
- Sunday Morning: Vienna-Style
- The Top 'Quality' Airline
- Top 10 Architecturally Stunning Libraries
- Taking the Kids: When a Return Trip Makes You Smile at the Memories
- Airlines Fall in Love with Fuel Surcharges All Over
- How to Plan a Multifamily Vacation
- European Trains: Still a Great Way to Travel
- Renting a Car in Europe
- Taking the Kids: Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii to Try to Make Sense of Ancient History
- Don't Ignore Travel Scam Warnings
- Top Ten Flower Markets
- The Travel Industry Moves to Pre-empt Customer Complaints
- Ten Great Movie Theaters Across the Globe
- A Matter of Taste: Europeans on American Food
- When the Fuel Surcharge Costs More Than the Ticket
- When You're Really, Really Footloose
- Continental and United Airlines Closer than Ever
- Taking the Kids: Looking For Those Unique Moments in Orlando
- Slovenia Offers Up Charm Without the Crowds
- 10 Great Cities For Night Owls
- Stop Obsessing Over Airfares and Book Now
- Airport Lounges for the Rest of Us
- Athens, Greece: Offbeat Athens
- Taking the Kids: Putting on the Ritz in Ski Country
- A Few New Websites and Gimmicks
- Six Cards You Need on Your Trip
- 10 Great Places for Dogs and Dog Lovers
- Mandatory Housekeeping Fees May Be Just Around the Corner
- Taking the Kids to Atlantis
- Helsinki and Tallinn: Baltic Sisters
- Cheap Sleeps in Europe
- Indexed Airfares: Deception or Deal?
- Top 10 Easy Rules of Traveling
- Top 10 Places for Afternoon Tea in London
- US Airways Closes a Loophole But Opens a Can of Worms
- United Airlines Sticks with Economy Plus
- TSA Screenings Prompt Cries of Police-State Tactics
- Finding a Good Cruise Agent
- An Inside and Outside Look at Madrid
- Looking at Europe: Part 2
- World's Top Ten Circular Buildings and Structures
- Will This Be the Year for Passenger Rights?
- Delta Drops Mileage Expiration
- Taking the Kids: But Not on an Adult-Only Romantic Getaway
- Taking the Kids: On a Different Spring Break
- Top 5 Vehicles for Ski Week
- Taking the Kids: Learning to Scuba Dive
- World's Top 10 Scariest Places to Look Down
- Top 10 Amenities Travelers Wish Still Existed
- Blockbuster Art Exhibit? Get a Package?
- Taking the Kids To Broadway - 2011
- Discovering Oslo's Inner Tiger
- Losing It All ... and Bouncing Back
- Delta Airlines Opts for Semi-Premium Economy
- 'Easier' Frequent Flyer Seats? Yes -- and No!
(c) 2011 TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.
WOLFGANG PUCK RECIPES
Wolfgang Puck, world-renowned chef with an extraordinary passion for food, now shares that passion in Wolfgang Puck's Kitchen. Wolfgang Puck makes great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Wolfgang Puck Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more from the Tribune's movie critic Michael Phillips. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Michael Phillips Movie Reviews Click Here