Cooking School for Kids
I make a pretty ugly Neanderthal.
We're at Hall of Human Origins, the newest exhibit at the
Where else can you hold a hissing cockroach, hang on to a "shooting star" (actually a 4.5 billion year old meteorite), use real bones to solve a mystery CSI-style or, as I did, see what you'd look like as an early human (http://humanorigins.si.edu/) and then email the picture to yourself? There's even a new phone app for this aspect of the exhibit called MEanderthal.
Kids and their parents, totally engaged, giggled at their Neanderthal photos and marveled at the gigantic T-Rex (he could swallow the equivalent of 1,000 Quarter-Pounders whole in one gulp!) and the Giant Squid -- nearly the length of a school bus. They stared from below at
Kids fingered the "evidence" in the
Summer, of course, is the time when many families brave the heat and flock to
And opt for a hotel that has a pool! There are plenty of deals with rates starting at
As many as 25,000 people visit just the
But where do you start when there is so much to see and do! Where are the bathrooms? (The most convenient one is on the main floor near the Ocean Hall.) A little prep goes a long way suggests
Ask the kids questions as you go along. What does it mean to be human? (For one thing, I learned, we have longer childhoods!) Stop and watch a movie of the field sites where scientists tell you about their findings and research.
Decide if you want to focus on a particular area -- the Hall of Geology, Gems and Minerals, for example, where you can look into a crystal or the
"Every family does it differently," says
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- France: Basking in France's Dordogne River Valley
- How to Rent a Car in Europe
- Avoiding Cruise Port Rip-offs
- Promotions and Features -- a Summer Grab Bag
- Where the Summer Discounts Are and Are Not
- World's 'Best' Airlines -- Do You Care?
- Taking the Kids To the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- TSA's Liquid Rules: So Long, 3-1-1?
- Rejected? Enjoy the Art, But Appeal
- Right Hotel, Wrong Room
- Vacation Rentals: 9 Things to Know
- Salzburg: An Austrian Symphony
- Taking the Kids To Cooking School
- Lessons Learned From Your Worst Travel Gaffes
- Help! My Refund is Missing in Action
- Confessions of a Frequent-Flier Program Skeptic
- Airlines Annoyances -- Can You Avoid Them?
- Frequent Flyer Payout -- Great to Lousy
- Taking the Kids to a Broadway Musical
- Tips for Traveling Solo
- How to Save on Summer Vacation Travel
- What You Can Learn From First-Time Air Travelers
- Hotels Connect the Dots Between Guests and Online Reviews
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- Putting on the Ritz in Orlando
- Airlines Unbundle then Repackage: What's the Deal?
- New Tarmac Rule: Fewer Airline Flight Delays
- Germany's Mix of Perfume Chocolate and God
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Amtrak 2010: Sightseeing Ideas
- I Didn't Mean to Buy Travel Insurance
- Continental - United Airlines Merger: the Consumer View
- Will the United - Continental Merger Raise Airfares
- Krakow: Poland's Historic and Cultural Gem
- Europe this Summer: Mixed Bag of News
- 'Qualify' for a Fleecing?
- Forget Your Travel Agent: 4 Trips You Should Book Yourself
- I Had to Pay Twice For My Flights to Mexico
- What's Next For Airlines Paying by the Pound?
- What Parents Say About Family Vacations
- New-Style Vacation Trips Trip with the Grandparents
- Princess for a Day at Disney World
- Easter in Europe
- Where Are Cheap Round-the-World Airfares
- Premium Economy for Overseas Trips
- Healthy Hiking With Your Dog
- Taking the Kids to Bermuda
- Taking the Kids to Chile
- Too Sick to Fly? When to Put Yourself on the 'No Fly' List
- Lowest Airfare? You May Have to Connect
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- Totally Kidcentric and Affordable Ski Resorts
- Taking the Kids to Alaska and Meeting Some Bears
- Taking the Kids to Mohonk Mountain House
- Taking the Kids to Patagonia
- Taking the Kids - Skiing in Telluride
- Taking the Kids - Skiing this Winter without Busting the Budget
- Taking the Kids - How Snow Sports Can Transform a Child's Life
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
- Getting Up-close & Personal with Olympians
- Travel Apps for Your Smart Phone
- 6 Ways to Save: Family Vacations
(c) 2010 Eileen Ogintz
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here