Putting on the Ritz in Orlando
"We're here to shop," the
"This hotel has a really good atmosphere," says 14-year-old
As Orlando gears up for the much-anticipated opening in June of Universal's "The Wizarding World of
Even families who hit the parks can easily escape in the evening to upscale digs that welcome kids and won't bust the budget. "I can only take six hours of
On a recent rainy morning, she and the girls were playing in the Waldorf's kids club, which I found very oddly placed inside the hotel's fitness center, though Lammersen didn't seem to mind. "I'd stay here again," she said. An
Come summer, rates at even the most deluxe hotels outside the parks drop so that your family can put on the Ritz -- literally -- at a price you can afford. (Summer packages at the Ritz and the adjacent
Avoid the lines at the Wizarding World and opt for one of Universal Orlando's three four-star
Let's not forget new choices from The Mouse.
Some of these units sleep nine comfortably and have three bathrooms, and, while not cheap, they are certainly a better deal than two or three hotel rooms, especially when you figure in the meals you won't have to eat out -- always a trial anyway with young, tired kids.
But then there's the Grand, as they call
Alice in Wonderland skips through the lobby while kids perch on pint-sized chairs to watch cartoons.
If you prefer not to run into Alice, the Ritz Carlton -- connected to the
Even locals love to check-in. "The employees make it feel like a second home for me and my children," said single dad
And in the end, that's what matters most. Next trip, look for me on the eco-roof.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Putting on the Ritz in Orlando
- Airlines Unbundle then Repackage: What's the Deal?
- New Tarmac Rule: Fewer Airline Flight Delays
- Germany's Mix of Perfume Chocolate and God
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Amtrak 2010: Sightseeing Ideas
- I Didn't Mean to Buy Travel Insurance
- Continental - United Airlines Merger: the Consumer View
- Will the United - Continental Merger Raise Airfares
- Krakow: Poland's Historic and Cultural Gem
- Europe this Summer: Mixed Bag of News
- 'Qualify' for a Fleecing?
- Forget Your Travel Agent: 4 Trips You Should Book Yourself
- I Had to Pay Twice For My Flights to Mexico
- What's Next For Airlines Paying by the Pound?
- What Parents Say About Family Vacations
- New-Style Vacation Trips Trip with the Grandparents
- Princess for a Day at Disney World
- Easter in Europe
- Where Are Cheap Round-the-World Airfares
- Premium Economy for Overseas Trips
- Healthy Hiking With Your Dog
- Taking the Kids to Bermuda
- Taking the Kids to Chile
- Too Sick to Fly? When to Put Yourself on the 'No Fly' List
- Lowest Airfare? You May Have to Connect
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- Totally Kidcentric and Affordable Ski Resorts
- Taking the Kids to Alaska and Meeting Some Bears
- Taking the Kids to Mohonk Mountain House
- Taking the Kids to Patagonia
- Taking the Kids - Skiing in Telluride
- Taking the Kids - Skiing this Winter without Busting the Budget
- Taking the Kids - How Snow Sports Can Transform a Child's Life
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
- Getting Up-close & Personal with Olympians
- Travel Apps for Your Smart Phone
- 6 Ways to Save: Family Vacations
(c) 2010 Eileen Ogintz
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here