Munich: Metropolis with Small-Town Charm
Munich's bustling main square, Marienplatz.
For several years, I've marveled at how
Despite its population of 1.5 million,
In general, the guides dumb down their lectures with lots of silly legends, and refer to the beloved Frauenkirche as the "church with the Pamela Anderson domes." But they are introducing many visitors to a facet of Bavarian culture beyond its famed beer.
Most of these tours start in the sunlit main square called Marienplatz ("Mary's Square"), which gives you a fine look at the glory of
The oldest church in town, St. Peter's, is a few steps from Marienplatz. Along with much of
After the war, people who lived in
City leaders took care to preserve
Just behind the rebuilt St. Peter's you can experience small-town
A few blocks away,
Wherever you walk, you'll see the twin onion domes of the Frauenkirche, the city's iconic church. Some say crusaders, inspired by the Dome of the Rock in
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Munich: Metropolis with Small-Town Charm
- Grown Ups Have as Much Fun Aboard Disney Magic as Kids
- Coping with Europe's 'Season of Strikes'
- 'Private Sale' Sites: Deals on Luxury Hotels and Cruises
- 7 Clauses to Beware of in Your Cruise Contract
- Glamour Camping
- Flying? Get on the Web
- Glamour Camping
- Spain: Parties and Processions in Andalucia
- London: Taming London in a Week
- Taking the Kids to Mesa Verde National Park
- Fall Vacation Travel: A Great Season
- Airfare Searches: Know the Right Places
- 'Tax Free' Airport Stores: Bargain or Hype?
- Organize a Tour and Travel for 'Free' But with Strings
- Oh No You Didn't! 5 Ways Travelers Have Lost Their Manners
- Travel Complaints That Fail: 5 Kinds of Emails You Should Never Write
- Air Travelers Let Your Voices Be Heard
- Car Rentals: You Missed the Scratch on the Roof
- Hey, What Happened to My Internet Connection?
- Taking the Kids RVing in Colorado
- Taking the Kids to Nantucket
- Praying and Partying in the Streets of Istanbul
- Revenge of the Hotel Clerks: Things They Do to Difficult Guests
- Sorry We Forgot About That $500 Change Fee
- Beware of Tour Operator 'Savings' Claims
- New Vacation Rental and Hotel Options
- Steven Slater Airline Meltdown Hardly a Surprise
Taking the Kids to Boston
Time Traveling Back in History in Boston
- Stockholm's Island Getaways
- Shorter Vacations? Tighter Budgets? Welcome to the New 'Normal' in Travel
- Do You Really Want to Take Your Pets Along?
- Travel Taxes: Bad, Getting Worse
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Rambling Through the Ruins of Europe's Castles
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- Eco-Friendly Camping is About Putting Nature First
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Fall Travel Bargains Will Abound and Here's Where to Find Them
- If It's Called Secure Flight, Why Do I Feel So Insecure?
- Using Opaque Travel Web Sites Effectively
- Eldergadget: Creative or Condescending?
- Communing with Nature in Austria's Hallstatt
- Barefoot in Venice Italy
- Lisbon: Portugal's Salty Capital
- Irish Soul Music
- Biking in Europe: A Bridge Over Cultural Barriers
- Verona Italy: City of Romance
- France: Basking in France's Dordogne River Valley
- Salzburg: An Austrian Symphony
- Taking the Kids Aboard the Newest Megaship Epic
- 6 Tips for Taking a Summer 'Daycation'
- Ticket? Check. Bag? Check. Insurance? Pre-check
- Warning: Tour Operators Can Still Fail
- Go Camping and Bring the Kids
- On-the-road Rx: Family Vacation Safety Tips
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- How Much Should We Tip These Days?
- Advance Baggage Shipment: Does it Make Any Sense
- Airline Passengers Get Chance to Be Heard on Proposed Regulations
- Best 'Value' Destination Cities
- One-Sided Cruise Contracts
- Salzburg Austria: Stage Of The World
- 10 Best Bargains in Salzburg
- Germany's Mix of Perfume Chocolate and God
- Krakow: Poland's Historic and Cultural Gem
- Europe this Summer: Mixed Bag of News
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
(c) 2010 Rick Steves' Europe
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here