Rock of Cashel
We've been on many daylong hiking excursions in the Southern Appalachians -- a far cry from the rugged coastlines of the Emerald Isle -- so I was initially worried about whether we were really hiking all the way across
DUBLIN AND ITS ENVIRONS
The four of us began our Irish adventure with a soggy afternoon in
Our accommodations at the
Here we met
BRAY AND POWERSCOURT
For our first outing, Tim drove us to
The next day, we visited Powerscourt House & Gardens, which boasts a magnificent variety of gardens including Italian terraces and the Walled Garden dating to 1740. Afterwards we were off to Glendalough, the valley between two lakes in
KILKENNY, CORK AND KILLARNEY
We drove farther west the next day, and stopped at Avoca Mills,
That evening, we bunked in luxury at Auber House in Cashel, a town wrapped in Irish history and vistas. An early morning walk to
THE BEARA PENINSULA
We then drove to the
Castletownebere, the largest Irish harbor, would be home for the next two days as we explored the
The next day was glorious!
Another incredible experience was a day hiking the pasturelands and hills around the
Next up: Kenmare, a town near the Ring of Kerry in western
Our final destination was the fishing port of
The next day we hiked on the
AN IRISH DEPARTING
After a farewell dinner in
The Irish use the word "fantastic" to describe their laid-back lifestyle, and that would be the most apt description for our
Note: REI Adventures leads excursions all over the world, from the Appalachian Trail to
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
Dublin's Pubs, Grub and Nightlife
Dublin's most captivating feature may very well be its nightlife. With hundreds of bars, a thriving nightclub scene and constantly evolving restaurants, the nation's capital is the very best place to spend an Irish evening.
Dublin's Irrepressible Spirit
Ireland is still vibrant as can be for travelers. And Dublin offers the best urban thrills in the Republic of Ireland. Here are a few of my favorite things to do in Dublin ...
The Dingle Peninsula Escape to Pure Ireland
Rick Steves' Europe
Be forewarned, Ireland is seductive. Gaeltachts are national parks for the traditional culture, where the government protects the old Irish ways. The Dingle Peninsula -- green, rugged, and untouched -- is my favorite Gaeltacht. As you explore the lush Dingle Peninsula, you'll see why the Emerald Isle got its name.
Five-Star Ireland: Luxury, Golf & Spas Await
World's Fare Margeret M. Johnson
- Camping Vacations: Sleeping Under the Stars
- Taking it Easy in Winslow Arizona
- Costa Rica Surf Trip in Playa Guiones
- Certifiably Green: Hotels That Love the Earth
- Renovation Regrets: Questions to Ask Before Staying at New Hotel
- Taking the Kids - Aboard the Biggest Cruise Ship Afloat
- Winter in London: Chilly Weather, Warm Memories
- Christmas in Europe: Not a Day But a Season
- High Speed Rail: More Openings But Not in the U.S.
- The Good and Bad in Travel for 2009
- Avoiding Airport Parking Hassles
- Small-Airline Frequent Flyer Programs
- Holiday Survival Guide: 5 Things You Absolutely Must Know
- Singing for Freedom in Estonia
- What's Ahead in Travel: A Roundup
- Frequent Flyer Miles: Currency, not Loyalty
- Washington Trade Groups Want Their Piece of Pie in the Sky
- TSA to Conduct Full Review After Sensitive Information Leak
(c) 2009 Jan Swoope
WOLFGANG PUCK RECIPES
Wolfgang Puck, world-renowned chef with an extraordinary passion for food, now shares that passion in Wolfgang Puck's Kitchen. Wolfgang Puck makes great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Wolfgang Puck Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more from the Tribune's movie critic Michael Phillips. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Michael Phillips Movie Reviews Click Here