Surveys tell us that lots of you are thinking about heading for
First, as to where to go. I'm not a big fan of selecting a destination just because it offers low costs -- after all, if that's your controlling objective, small-town
Still, relative costs enter many travel plans, so I'm happy to pass along the results of a just-published report on hotel prices. According to Trivago (www.trivago.co.uk), a big British online travel agency, of
Highest prices are in
Of course, these figures are averages. Dedicated budget travelers can always find down-market accommodations at substantially below-average room rates. But the averages are a pretty good guide to relative costs at whatever comfort level you pursue.
Airfares are a much bigger question. Right now (mid-March), at least some lines are promoting close-in sales to
In general, I find spring fares to be stiff and, at least so far, summer fares to be very high. Examples include
In fact, prices currently quoted for summer travel are high enough that I'd give serious consideration to waiting for a "sale" to come along with substantially better deals. I suspect that the prices being quoted now are going to discourage travel to the extent that the airlines are going to have to offer cuts if they want to fill their planes.
Obviously, waiting for a sale is a gamble, and if you lose, you might wind up paying even more. I'd take that gamble, but you might find it unacceptable -- it's a personal choice.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- What's New in Scandinavia in 2010
- Taking the Kids to Bermuda
- Taking the Kids to Chile
- Too Sick to Fly? When to Put Yourself on the 'No Fly' List
- Lowest Airfare? You May Have to Connect
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- How to Ensure Your Luggage Survives a Trip
- What Hotels Will Resort to For a Good Review
- Accidental Tourist? Tips for Maximizing Happy Coincidences and Avoiding Bad Ones
- Low Airfares That Vanish in a Click
- Air Travel Buying Extra Legroom
- Priceline Opens Up; Quikbook Goes Opaque
- Another Argument For Travel Insurance
- Travel Apps for Your Smart Phone
- 6 Ways to Save: Family Vacations
- My Hotel Lost a Star -- What Now?
- When Travelers Experience Discrimination
- Good Airline Fees? Some Are Worth the Money
- Clear Airfares Act Left Sitting on the Tarmac
- Rental Car 'Gotchas' That Can Cost You Real Money
- What's New in Germany and Switzerland for 2010
- What's New in Great Britain and Ireland in 2010
- Totally Kidcentric and Affordable Ski Resorts
(c) 2010 Ed Perkins
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here