2012: Big Events Will Bring Big Crowds to Britain and Ireland
From the summer Olympics to the 100th anniversary of the Titanic's sinking, several major events will make the British Isles a popular destination in 2012.
Brits will be partying before the games even start. This year marks the Queen's
As always, restoration work continues to keep visitors to
Barclays Cycle Hire,
Though most of the Olympics action takes place in
Visitors to the south of
At Stonehenge, construction of a long-awaited visitor's center, designed to blend in with the landscape, may begin in April. Since the highway next to the stones will be closed, visitors will park farther away and ride a shuttle to the site.
At Hadrian's Wall, two formerly so-so sights have received a major grant and substantially improved their offerings. At the Roman fort Vindolanda, armchair archaeologists can sift through ancient dirt at an ongoing "dig."
Several sights will commemorate the centennial anniversary of the Titanic's maiden -- and only -- voyage. In the modest port town of Cobh, the ship's final anchorage (and the last chance to get off), the Queenstown Story will include beefed-up coverage of the Titanic. In
Finally, if you're a first-time visitor to
This is a big year for the British Isles. While traveling here will come with more crowds, it will also offer unforgettable experiences.
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Cheers to Britain's Oldest University Towns
- 2012: Big Events Will Bring Big Crowds to Britain and Ireland
- Berlin Reborn
- Germany's Ultimate Christmas Market: Nutcracker Sweet
- Denmark Beyond Copenhagen
- What's New in Italy? Doors Closing, Doors Opening
- Photography Tips for Travelers
- Consolidators -- Low Profile but Still Around
- Do Airlines Give Best Fares to Search Engines?
- VIP Airport Lounge -- Oasis at a Big Airport
- 'Game Changer' 787 -- But Whose Game?
- Europe: Cruising Through the Back Door?
- Travel with a Purpose
- Preserving the Past at Europe's Folk Museums
- South of the Border
- Need a Flight? Just Google It
- 5 Online Tools for Managing Airline Miles
- The Secrets to Successful Travel Bidding
- What You Need to Know About Travel Credit Cards
- Steep, Deep Norway: From Peaks to Port
- Volterra and San Gimignano: Two Sides of Northern Tuscany
- The Artistic Draw of France
(c) 2012 Rick Steves Distributed By Tribune Media Services, Inc.
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here