10 Fascinating Place Symbols
Whether derived from industry, legend, or just plain popularity, it's always interesting to learn how local symbols came to be. Official, unofficial, or even unofficially official, these icons are as much a part of the cities and institutions they represent as museums or language.
While residents of East Berlin were thrilled to see the demise of the wall, they were less enthusiastic when, in an effort to integrate with West Berlin, officials began removing the classic little hat-wearing figure that told pedestrians when and when not to cross the street. Almost obliterated, he is now a highly popular figure who has been immortalized in souvenirs and city art pieces.
2. THE BOXING KANGAROO;
Meant to reflect the physique and fighting technique of
3. THE TRINACRIA;
Symbolizing the three sides of the island of
Although when first installed at the beginning of the last century this statue was considered highly scandalous and an insult to women, today it's not only the symbol of the city but also the center of one of its biggest celebrations. On Vappu, or
5. LITTLE DEVIL BOY; LES DIABLERETS,
Looking at the almost otherworldly perfection of the Diablerets landscape, it seems rather incongruent that the highly prominent symbol of this region is a small devil boy. Based on a legend in which area shepherds heard devils playing games in the mountains, the figure can be found on the front lawns of most area businesses and houses.
6. THE GUMBOOT; TAIHAPE,
The people of Taihape hold their city symbol so sacred that they even have a yearly Gumboot Day Festival, the pinnacle of which is a gumboot throwing competition. When visiting, be sure to check out the giant gumboot sculpture made out of corrugated iron.
7. DURIAN FRUIT; DAVAO CITY,
While some say this is equivalent to having moldy cheese as a symbol, those who love the stinky fruit say the taste more than makes up for the pungent smell. In fact, the fruit is so revered here that it's even in the official city seal.
8. BLACK HORSE;
While the black horse on its hind legs may be familiar as the commercial symbol of European car companies, the story behind it as the symbol of
9. DRAGON; SUNDSVALL,
No, you're not imagining things. That red thing on the ceiling of
Recent Vacation Ideas & Travel Destinations
- Taking the Kids to a Ranch in Winter
- Slovakia: Booming Bratislava
- How Safe is a Cruise?
- Disney Turns to Guests to Promote Theme Parks
- World's Top 10 Ugliest Buildings
- 10 Fascinating Place Symbols
- What's Behind All Those Airline Change Fees?
- Taking the Kids and De-Stressing the Holidays
- Taking the Kids and Grabbing a Pre-Holiday Break
- Verdun, France: A Lesson About War
- Airline 'Code-Shares' Not Really 'Seamless'
- Taking the Kids to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
- Taking the Kids to Kauai Hawaii
- Taking the Kids to Steamboat Springs Colorado
- Welsh Magic
- 10 Fascinating Place Symbols
- European Restaurant Rules
- The Biggest Travel Gouge
- Online Travel Planning: For Real?
- Onboard Internet: Lots More Coming
- A La Carte Pricing: Coming to Cruises?
- Do They Hate Us?
- Are Travelers Overloaded By Social Media?
- Paying Up Front for Rental Car Nicks and Scratches
- Prague: Castle Scenes and Ice Cream Dreams
- Florence: The Cultural Capital of Europe
- Taking the Kids: Meeting Up with Some Ghosts and Goblins
- Taking the Kids: When Grown-ups Go Out to Play in the Fall
- Planning a Green Vacation
- How to Find Airline Seats for a Family Group
- Are Travelers Frill-Seekers? No, But Here's What They Really Want
- Tarmac-Delay Rules Give Travelers More Respect
- New Airline Tie-Ups: What Consumers Need to Know
- Southwest and AirTran Airlines: Six Things You Need to Know
- How to Fall Into a Real Travel Bargain This Year
- The Travel Industry Still Cares About You
- Save Your Money or Your Trip?
- Fall and Winter Travel Senior Discounts: Where the Deals Are
- Walking Tours Bring Europe's Cities to Life
- Taking the Kids to Oahu Beyond Waikiki
- Taking the Kids and Flying Safely with Young Children
- Travel Essential: Suitcase Guide
- Are Loyalty Programs Worth It?
- Big Exhibit? Avoid Lines and Hassle
- The Continental - United Merger: What's New
- Munich: Metropolis with Small-Town Charm
- Grown Ups Have as Much Fun Aboard Disney Magic as Kids
- Coping with Europe's 'Season of Strikes'
- 'Private Sale' Sites: Deals on Luxury Hotels and Cruises
- 7 Clauses to Beware of in Your Cruise Contract
- Glamour Camping
- Flying? Get on the Web
- Glamour Camping
- Spain: Parties and Processions in Andalucia
- London: Taming London in a Week
- Taking the Kids to Mesa Verde National Park
- Fall Vacation Travel: A Great Season
- Airfare Searches: Know the Right Places
- 'Tax Free' Airport Stores: Bargain or Hype?
- Organize a Tour and Travel for 'Free' But with Strings
- Oh No You Didn't! 5 Ways Travelers Have Lost Their Manners
- Travel Complaints That Fail: 5 Kinds of Emails You Should Never Write
- Air Travelers Let Your Voices Be Heard
- Car Rentals: You Missed the Scratch on the Roof
- Hey, What Happened to My Internet Connection?
- Taking the Kids RVing in Colorado
- Taking the Kids to Nantucket
- Praying and Partying in the Streets of Istanbul
- Revenge of the Hotel Clerks: Things They Do to Difficult Guests
- Sorry We Forgot About That $500 Change Fee
- Beware of Tour Operator 'Savings' Claims
- New Vacation Rental and Hotel Options
- Steven Slater Airline Meltdown Hardly a Surprise
Taking the Kids to Boston
Time Traveling Back in History in Boston
- Stockholm's Island Getaways
- Shorter Vacations? Tighter Budgets? Welcome to the New 'Normal' in Travel
- Do You Really Want to Take Your Pets Along?
- Travel Taxes: Bad, Getting Worse
- What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
- Rambling Through the Ruins of Europe's Castles
- Taking the Kids to NYC for the First Time
- Eco-Friendly Camping is About Putting Nature First
- Take a Magical History Tour
- Fall Travel Bargains Will Abound and Here's Where to Find Them
- If It's Called Secure Flight, Why Do I Feel So Insecure?
- Using Opaque Travel Web Sites Effectively
- Eldergadget: Creative or Condescending?
- Communing with Nature in Austria's Hallstatt
- Barefoot in Venice Italy
- Lisbon: Portugal's Salty Capital
- Irish Soul Music
- Biking in Europe: A Bridge Over Cultural Barriers
- Verona Italy: City of Romance
- France: Basking in France's Dordogne River Valley
- Salzburg: An Austrian Symphony
- Taking the Kids Aboard the Newest Megaship Epic
- 6 Tips for Taking a Summer 'Daycation'
- Ticket? Check. Bag? Check. Insurance? Pre-check
- Warning: Tour Operators Can Still Fail
- Go Camping and Bring the Kids
- On-the-road Rx: Family Vacation Safety Tips
- 5 Beach Safety Tips
- How Much Should We Tip These Days?
- Advance Baggage Shipment: Does it Make Any Sense
- Airline Passengers Get Chance to Be Heard on Proposed Regulations
- Best 'Value' Destination Cities
- One-Sided Cruise Contracts
- Salzburg Austria: Stage Of The World
- 10 Best Bargains in Salzburg
- Germany's Mix of Perfume Chocolate and God
- Krakow: Poland's Historic and Cultural Gem
- Europe this Summer: Mixed Bag of News
- Europe 2010: Pricey, But with Some Good Deals
- Taking the Kids: Skiing in Austria
(c) 2010 VirtualTourist.com
World-renowned chefs with an extraordinary passion for food, share that passion. They make great cooking easier than you ever imagined. Each feature includes both an expert tip and an easy recipe - exactly what you need to transform your home cooking from acceptable to delectable.
Recipes Click Here
Movie Reviews, commentary and more. Plus Trailers from movies currently in theaters and available on DVD.
Movie Reviews Click Here