- LATIN AMERICA
- MIDDLE EAST
- United Kingdom
- United States
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- iHaveNet.com: Movie Reviews
Like to be scared, but don't want to be too mainstream about it? Join us as we count down our picks for the top 10 cult classics - category: horror
For this list, we've picked our favorite horror flicks that were not necessarily successful at the box-office, but which gathered sizeable followings over the years. That means movies that made a respectable amount of money in theatres do not qualify.
Cult classic horror movies have a dedicated and passionate fanbase, often for their unique style, subversive themes, or unconventional storytelling. Here are ten cult classic horror movies that have left a lasting impact on the genre:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
A campy, musical horror-comedy that has developed a massive cult following, complete with audience participation during screenings.
The Evil Dead (1981)
Directed by Sam Raimi, this low-budget, gory horror film became a cult classic and spawned a successful franchise.
A surreal and nightmarish film by David Lynch that has become an art-house horror classic, known for its disturbing imagery and atmospheric dread.
Donnie Darko (2001)
A mind-bending psychological horror film that gained a dedicated fanbase for its complex narrative and themes of time travel and mental illness.
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Tobe Hooper's gritty and visceral horror film about a group of friends who encounter a family of cannibals in Texas.
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
While not a traditional horror film, Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Anthony Burgess's novel explores themes of violence and free will in a dystopian society.
The Wicker Man (1973)
A British folk horror film that blends mystery, suspense, and pagan rituals, with a memorable performance by Christopher Lee.
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
A highly controversial Italian horror film that blurs the line between fiction and reality, known for its graphic violence and shock value.
Basket Case (1982)
A low-budget horror-comedy about a man who carries his deformed, homicidal twin brother in a basket. It's a quirky and memorable cult classic.
A surreal and dreamlike horror film that blends elements of science fiction and fantasy, centered around a sinister mortician known as the Tall Man.
These cult classic horror movies offer a wide range of styles and themes, and while they may not have achieved mainstream success upon release, they have found devoted audiences who appreciate their unique and often subversive qualities.
- Top 10 Superhero Alter Egos
- Top 10 Kevin Bacon Performances
- Top 10 Years in Film History
- Top 10 Harry Potter Characters
- Top 10 Greatest Female Movie Villains of All Time
- 12 Most Patriotic Movie Moments
- 7 Most Illogical Movie Endings
- Top 10 Fictional Movie Towns
- Top 10 Vietnam War Movies
- Remembering 'Forrest Gump' Years Later
- Top 10 Movie Robots of All Time
- Top 10 Pixar Villains
- Top 10 Stan Lee Movie Cameos
- Top 10 Damsels in Distress in Movies
- Top 10 Alfred Hitchcock Movies
- Top 10 Major Plot Holes in Movies
- Top 10 Dramatic Movie Deaths
- Top 10 Most Heroic Deaths in Movies
- Top 10 Movie Production Nightmares
- Top 10 Old Wise Men in Movies
- Top 10 School Dances in Movies
- Top 10 Movie Shower Scenes
- Why is 'Shawshank Redemption' Still So Popular
- Top 10 Memorable Movie Insults
- Top 10 Funniest Movie Insults
- Top 10 Obscene Movie Insults (Explicit)
- Top 10 Hated Movie Actors
Article: Copyright ©
Top 10 Cult Classics: Horror Movies