We are shocked and saddened by the massacre in
There is no safe zone.
We fixate on the details of the killer.
Our leaders offer condolences and prayers, as President Obama and Republican presidential candidate
Holmes purchased the four guns he carried in local
There is no ban on assault weapons, no ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines, no registration requirements, no gun owner licensing requirements, no background checks for Internet sales, no "good cause" required for a concealed carry permit, no limit on the number of handguns you can buy in one purchase.
Our police chiefs campaign hard for a ban on assault weapons that put them at risk. A weak federal assault weapons ban existed from 1994 until
Now the gun lobby has won. People have begun arming themselves, as if that would protect them. Last year, nearly half (47 percent) of Americans said they have a gun in their home. In 1959, 60 percent of Americans supported a law to ban possession of handguns except by police and other authorized persons. By 2011, only 26 percent supported it. Last year for the first time, a majority of Americans said they were opposed to a law to make it illegal to manufacture, sell or possess assault weapons.
In "The Second Coming," the poet
How many must die before "the best" stand and speak? We must revive the ban on assault weapons in America. The Joker's goal of creating chaos through violence is not a joke. Arming ourselves is not a solution; it is a defeat. We must demand action to defend the domestic tranquility against a gun industry, lobby and culture that now pose a clear and present danger.
You can write to the Rev.
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Robot Now, Human Later: America's Mars Dream
- Smoldering Planet
- Community in the Crosshairs
- Good Violence, Bad Violence
- In Colorado, Ordinary People Display True Heroism
- One Nation, Under the Gun
- Follow Police Chiefs' Guidance on Assault Weapons
- Assaulting America
- Death Penalty Foes Won't Take a Stand in Colorado
- The Election, the Presidency and Foreign Policy
- Don't Expand NAFTA
- Cutting Pentagon Fat
- The Geopolitics of Compassion
- War and Climate Change
- Tilting at the United Nations Windmill
- America the Greatest?
- Obama's New Global Posture
- Our Press Freedom is Under Fire
- The Cuban Missile Crisis at 50
- Shifting United States Foreign Policy Reflective of New World View
- The Grim Reaper
- Send in the Drones
- How We Fail to Understand the Transnational Narcotics Industry
- Decline or Decadence?
- Scoring Obama's Foreign Policy
- Immigration is a Human Rights Issue
- The United States Army in a Time of Transition
- The War on Terror is Over?
- Why Bounties on Terrorists Often Fail
- Why Europe's Double Dip Could Lead to One in United States
- Millions of 1940 Census Records Now Online
- An America in Decline
- Bruce Springsteen Captures The State of America
- Wars and Potential Wars Abound
- Our Health Care Racket
- A Farewell to Fossil Fuels
- United States Can't Control the World Oil Market
- The State of the World: Explaining U.S. Strategy
- Clear and Present Safety
- The Case for Space
- Drawdowns in Iraq And Afghanistan Recognition of Futility or Retreat from Coming Storm?
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- Pro-Drug Legalization Forces Gaining Clout
- Is the US 'Pivot' to the Pacific genuine?
- America's Constitutional Paralysis
- Those Bad Old Days Are Still with Us
- Fracking Perils
- American Decline Could Worsen with Focus on Iran and China
- Trans-Atlantic Military Cooperation Gets Complicated
- Don't Expect Too Much of the Next American President
- The Dignity of Corpses
- Momentum of Cynicism
- The United States Has Seen Much Worse
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.