"The war on terror is over," or so claims an unnamed senior
Really? Well, if the war is over, I must have missed the peace treaty signing ceremony. I also haven't noticed a decline in incendiary rhetoric, or the disarmament -- or at least laying down of arms -- that usually accompanies the end of war. Does this mean we can do away with full-body scanners and TSA pat-downs?
Those who believe the war against radical Islamists is over never really believed we were fighting one. They have been in denial from the start. Each time they have been proven wrong -- the land for peace formula between
This is preposterous. It is like saying the route to women's rights is through patriarchy. War is peace. George Orwell lives! Radical Islamists have made it perfectly clear they have no interest in joining the democratic process. They are at war. They are at war with the West. No amount of "make-nice" will stop them from trying to destroy Western infidels, which they consider all proponents of democracy to be.
Gerecht's kind of thinking is beyond self-delusional. It is suicidal. Any hope that the Arab Spring and the
Closer to reality is a report in the
Ask the radical Islamic cleric Abu Qatada if he thinks the war against the West, which is the proper way of framing this conflict, is over. British Home Secretary
Just because the leadership of al-Qaida has been killed, imprisoned or forced to run, does not mean that the fighting stops. In fact, though the "war on terror" may be over as a concept,
The secular left refuses to understand this. Terrorism is not the only tool in the arsenal of radical Islamists. Infiltration, Islamic schools, the building of mosques in the midst of the "Great Satan," the running of Muslim candidates for public office, the demands for more "rights" and civil liberties, while Islamists deny such things to the nations they dominate -- all of this and more proves the war by whatever name one wishes to call it is not over. In fact, it is just beginning.
Radical Islamists are attempting to unify the Muslim world under Sharia law and other dictates of the extremist wing of the religion. If they succeed, they will most assuredly redouble their efforts to eliminate
The war on terror continues. We need to fight it to win it.
- Decline or Decadence?
- Scoring Obama's Foreign Policy
- Immigration is a Human Rights Issue
- The United States Army in a Time of Transition
- The War on Terror is Over?
- Why Bounties on Terrorists Often Fail
- Why Europe's Double Dip Could Lead to One in United States
- Millions of 1940 Census Records Now Online
- An America in Decline
- Bruce Springsteen Captures The State of America
- Wars and Potential Wars Abound
- Our Health Care Racket
- A Farewell to Fossil Fuels
- United States Can't Control the World Oil Market
- The State of the World: Explaining U.S. Strategy
- Clear and Present Safety
- The Case for Space
- Drawdowns in Iraq And Afghanistan Recognition of Futility or Retreat from Coming Storm?
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- Pro-Drug Legalization Forces Gaining Clout
- Is the US 'Pivot' to the Pacific genuine?
- America's Constitutional Paralysis
- Those Bad Old Days Are Still with Us
- Fracking Perils
- American Decline Could Worsen with Focus on Iran and China
- Trans-Atlantic Military Cooperation Gets Complicated
- Don't Expect Too Much of the Next American President
- The Dignity of Corpses
- Momentum of Cynicism
- The United States Has Seen Much Worse
- 2011 Not the Very Worst, But Definitely in the Bottom 10
- Government Has Not Failed the People as It Did in 1860
- 2011 Not the Worst, But a Year Americans Would Like to Forget
- 2011 Ups and Downs: Gallup Polls Show Year Full of Pessimism
- American Border Law Enforcement Uses More Military Equipment
- Globalization and the Threat to the West
- When Currencies Collapse
- Balancing the East, Upgrading the West
- Alabama's Immigration Aftershock
- High Stakes for Immigration
- Education Cuts Aren't Smart
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services