Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
By Jim Hightower
An insurgent people's movement is going after Rahm Emanuel in Chicago.
The people of Chicago are grappling with a big question that people in nearly every urban place face: Can anyone really govern such a sprawling, brawling city?
Reclaim Chicago -- an upstart populist coalition that has become a major force in the city -- says the answer is a great big NO.
Moreover, asserts this grassroots group, no "one" should.
Rather, the many should. If they're organized through a democratic network, the people can be their own government, producing egalitarian policies that improve the lives of everyone and advance the whole city.
Indeed, the problem in Chicago is that "one" has been in charge, imposing corporate rule that further enriches the wealthy while holding down everyone else.
At present, the city's Numero Uno is Mayor Rahm Emanuel. The Wall Street Democrat uses everything from privatization schemes and tax favoritism to harsh budget cuts and arbitrary police action to shift money and power away from the people and into the coffers of the elites.
"Mayor 1 Percent," as the people have dubbed him, thinks he's untouchable.
Reclaim Chicago, however, is about to test that. This independent coalition is backing a top-notch slate of 14 people's candidates to challenge incumbent city council members who've been tail-wagging lapdogs for Emanuel's corporate rule.
And Mayor 1 Percent himself has drawn two opponents for the dominant Democratic Party's February 24 primary election.
Of course, Emanuel is floating on a boatload of special interest cash. But Reclaim Chicago has hundreds of its seasoned and trained members holding personal, door-to-door conversations with Chicagoans.
Win or lose in this go-round, Reclaim Chicago will keep moving onward and upward. And that's what it takes to build a winning people's movement.
Available at Amazon.com:
- Tightening Whose Belt?
- Three Felonies a Day
- Reviving the North Korea-Iran Axis?
- The Pentagon Makes War on Alaska's Pristine Wilderness
- There's Still Time to Prosecute the Torturers
- The American Way of War in the 21st Century
- After Baltimore, a Call to Reclaim Mother's Day
- Venture Capitalists Rule the World
- The Weakening Foundations of Western Power
- Cuba's Coming Out Party
- Authoritarian Symps
- Celebrating Wars & Destruction
- Boston Marathon Bombing Trial: Search for Justice and Closure
- Yes, Black America Fears the Police
- New Boston Bombing Video
- Obama's Last National Security Strategy
- What We Lose with a Privatized Postal Service
- Wal-Mart Does Something Right
- Guantanamo Bay's Place in U.S. Strategy
- The Intersection of Three Crises
- Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent'
- Obama Honors Chicago's Pullman District
- Chicago Police Testing Body Cameras
- Judge Says Chicago Cubs Can Keep Building Wrigley Signs
- Illinois Last, Best Chance?
- Bald Eagles Nesting in New York for First Time in 100 Years
- NYC's 911 System Overhaul $700M Over Budget
- Chicago Police Testing Body Cameras
- Obama Corrects a Historic Mistake on Cuba
- Why Obama and Congress Should Go Further With Cuba
- U.S. Cuban Relations Reimagined
- China and The United States
- Tensions in the Arctic
- Ebola and Moral Panic
- What West Africa Can Teach the U.S. About Ebola
- Everything Wrong with Obama's War on ISIS
- Maya Angelou was Deeper than a Pithy Quote
- Give Killers Coverage, Not A Soapbox
- Our Culture Behind Wisconsin Girls' Stabbing Case
- Are Hispanics in Danger of Becoming White?
- Obama Outlines the Limits of Foreign Intervention
- Just Don't Call It 'Reparations'
- Small Men with Ugly Thoughts, Expressed Aloud
- It's Time to Show Our Veterans Some Love
- Justice for All, Except Those Too Big to Jail
- On the 9/11 Memorial and Museum
- Policing Thought Crime
- Turmoil and Intimations of Gender Bias at The Gray Lady
- Jayson Blair and All The Lies Not Fit to Print
- Mental Illness and Guns have Created a National Epidemic
- Army of One
- Mass Killers Hold Culture and Country Hostage
- Florida Governor Takes Deep Dive into Climate Change
- Charlie Christ Flip-Flop is a Bad Idea
- Botched Execution Should Be Death Knell of Capital Punishment
- Cruel and Unusual Ways of Execution
- Bring Back Firing Squads? We Do Worse
- Clayton Lockett: A Just Execution, Regardless
- Supreme Court Rules 5-4 on Public Prayer
- Supreme Court Rules on Public Prayer -- But Should It?
- John Kerry Warns of Excessive Isolationism
- Obama's Foreign Policy Nonexistent
- On Race: Meet Dumb and Dumberer
- Believers in U.S. Decline Will Be Disappointed
- A Nation Divided with Liberty and Justice for Some
- Can Ethnic Hate Be a Mental Illness?
- Pulitzer Committee Makes Stand for Free Press, Accountable Government
- NRA Members Need To Step Up on Ending Gun Violence
- Military Chief's Plea: Put Returning Soldiers to Work
- Home from War, Our Soldiers Continue to Die
- Better Gun Laws Needed to Protect Mentally Ill and Rest of Us
- Guns: Monsters in Our Midst
Article: Distributed via OtherWords.org
"Taking on 'Mayor 1 Percent' "