Sheen's latest tabloid run-ins and reported excesses that landed him in rehab have yielded renewed hand-wringing over whether the actor, or
For his part, Roethlisberger served a four-game suspension at the start of the season for violating the league's personal-conduct guidelines, after
The notion that highly paid entertainers, in whatever field, don't always handle wealth and celebrity well is hardly new. Still, in the frenzy of reporting on talent like Sheen -- which can make
Indeed, "Two and a Half Men's" most recent original episode drew a season-high 15.5 million of viewers. With numbers like that, others might be tempted to encourage their leads to act up just a little -- prompting
Once something or someone has established a bond with fans, it's difficult to alienate them -- even if they insist that this time, really, is the last straw.
This truth goes beyond tabloid behavior. Sports leagues and
Are there exceptions to this calculus? Certainly, especially if the performer's popularity is rooted in a certain image -- think Pee-wee Herman -- that makes returning to work particularly awkward. Yet even
It's possible to completely torpedo one's career, in other words, but not easy. For every
Of course, with so many variables to consider, it's often difficult to draw direct lines in such cases. Did the last writers strike deal a blow to the networks? Given steady ratings erosion, that's hard to say. Intuition suggests the disruption didn't help, but cries of "A pox on both their houses" didn't prevent people from embracing "Modern Family" or "Glee" in the strike's wake.
Still, those predicting the
It's a good rule of thumb, naturally, not to tempt the fates or mess with success, and any savvy manager would prefer to avoid finding out whether seismic events will upset a profitable franchise. If
Nevertheless, an adage popularized by
Just win, baby.
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Few Penalties For Stars Behaving Badly
- Boy, Do We Like to Watch
- Aretha, Gaga and Barbra: Grammy Night, 2011!
- MTV Goes For the Gutter With 'Skins'
- Shaking It up With Bella and Zendaya!
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- 'Spidey' Producers Building a Brand
- Tolan: Let Critics Choose the Emmys
- Experts Key to Oprah Winfrey Formula
- Gift Ideas From the Stars
- Moonlighting Pays for Broadway Thespians
- Anderson Cooper Set for New Television Talk Show
- Reality Bug Bites TV Stars of the '80s
- Discovery Channel Aims Higher: Enlightened Reality TV
- If God is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise
- Katrina Kicks Off Tragedy Calendar
- Mad Men
- 8 Kids with 6 Moms? NFL Star Is Shameful
- Inside Nigel Lythgoe's Plans for American Idol
- Will Emmy Finally Gleam for Ann-Margret?
- DeGeneres Leaving 'American Idol': Jennifer Lopez May Be Joining
- 'Few Penalties For Stars Behaving Badly' - Great Show Set in Not-So-Great Era
- CNN's Larry King to Sign Off: Host Announces His Departure
- C-SPAN Now Reaches 100 Million Homes
- TV Networks Should Rethink Summer Strategy
- Fat Times For Weight-Loss TV Shows
- Grading Network Television Fall Schedules
- 'Lost' Found 'Net Niche: Stoked TV-Centric Blogosphere Fires
- Betty White - What We Can Learn From the Golden Girl
- Why News Is Aimed At Your Emotions
- Police Work and Reality TV: Not a Good Fit
- Media Overreaches As 'Lost' and Other TV Series Finish Up
- Television - Can TV News Be Saved?
- Television - Network News Doing Less with Less
- Television - Chattin' It up With iCarly's Miranda Cosgrove
- Television - Recurring Reality's Faux Sheen
- America Through the Reality Lens
- Television - TV Vets Assess Sitcoms
- Decade of Rapid Change
- TV's Best for 2009: Can't Pick Just 10
- Behind the Scenes at the Food Network
Copyright © 2011 REED BUSINESS INFORMATION, A DIVISION OF REED ELSEVIER INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.