I refuse to follow
It's not because I don't enjoy his mania just as much as the other 3 million followers he garnered this month. In fact, I think I enjoy his hubris-filled "Hamlet" rendition more than most because I also work in television. Here and there throughout my career, I've felt beaten up by a producer -- and, on occasion, by a studio, too. And although I've fantasized about denouncing them and calling everyone I've ever worked with a troll, in real life I've acted more like a battered wife than a batterer.
I'm not at all sure his show's creator actually abused Charlie, though. The rumor around Hollywoodland is that every other cast member on "Two and a Half Men" was treated like a member of group home who had to be cared for just well enough that the outside world couldn't see their pain -- while Charlie was treated like a deity.
But none of this is why I'm abstaining from Charlie's tweets. It's because one of my earliest television jobs was co-hosting "Loveline" on
This leads me to conclude that Mr. Sheen has experienced a psychotic break. So, I'm refraining from all things Charlieville because I'm trying very hard not to stare or follow or further the drama of someone who, I believe, needs medical attention.
I also believe he is not the only one at risk. Although I was relieved to see that one of the mothers of his children stepped in to (at least momentarily) remove his kids from the circus we're all enjoying, two other children have been left to fend for themselves at Carlos Estevez's house. Can no one save the "goddesses"?
Charlie openly talks about his two live-in girlfriends, which by number alone -- momentarily ignoring the age and economic differences between them and Charlie -- shows that an intimate, healthy relationship is not his current goal. These two very young and very blond women are living in a house with a man who has a mile-long history of domestic violence.
It was over 20 years ago that Sheen "accidentally" shot actress
Not long after that, Charlie was arrested for beating up his next girlfriend,
This was followed up in court when his next wife,
All this was trumped when Charlie allegedly gave then-wife
Most recently there was also the
It seems the only thing Charlie is definitely not winning at are his alleged threats to kill women. Or at least those who went to court over it. Who knows if other women may have been discouraged from calling police because Charlie has not served one minute of jail time in connection with any of these altercations.
These two women are also someone's children, and are not rich or famous, which makes them even easier targets to hurt, terrorize or heaven forbid, actually kill this time.
- Charlie Sheen Act Potentially Deadly Off Screen
- Kate Winslet Suffers Magnificently in HBO's 'Mildred Pierce'
- It's TV, Not Political Office, for Lou Dobbs
- Past Offers Paths For Remodeling 'Two and a Half Men'
- Charlie Sheen and the Wages of Fame
- NBC's Andrea Mitchell Is TV's Iron Woman
- 25 Years at the White House: 'I'm Peter Maer Of CBS'
- Charlie Sheen the Tabloid Gift That Keeps on Giving
- Debby Ryan: Parting is Such Suite Sorrow
- 'Two and a Half' Headaches: Sheen Camp Wants to Return Early
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Few Penalties For Stars Behaving Badly
- Boy, Do We Like to Watch
- Aretha, Gaga and Barbra: Grammy Night, 2011!
- MTV Goes For the Gutter With 'Skins'
- Shaking It up With Bella and Zendaya!
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- 'Spidey' Producers Building a Brand
- Tolan: Let Critics Choose the Emmys
- Experts Key to Oprah Winfrey Formula
- Gift Ideas From the Stars
- Moonlighting Pays for Broadway Thespians
- Anderson Cooper Set for New Television Talk Show
- Reality Bug Bites TV Stars of the '80s
- Discovery Channel Aims Higher: Enlightened Reality TV
- If God is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise
- Katrina Kicks Off Tragedy Calendar
- Mad Men
- 8 Kids with 6 Moms? NFL Star Is Shameful
- Inside Nigel Lythgoe's Plans for American Idol
- Will Emmy Finally Gleam for Ann-Margret?
- DeGeneres Leaving 'American Idol': Jennifer Lopez May Be Joining
- 'Charlie Sheen Act Potentially Deadly Off Screen' - Great Show Set in Not-So-Great Era
- CNN's Larry King to Sign Off: Host Announces His Departure
- C-SPAN Now Reaches 100 Million Homes
- TV Networks Should Rethink Summer Strategy
- Fat Times For Weight-Loss TV Shows
- Grading Network Television Fall Schedules
- 'Lost' Found 'Net Niche: Stoked TV-Centric Blogosphere Fires
- Betty White - What We Can Learn From the Golden Girl
- Why News Is Aimed At Your Emotions
- Police Work and Reality TV: Not a Good Fit
- Media Overreaches As 'Lost' and Other TV Series Finish Up
- Television - Can TV News Be Saved?
- Television - Network News Doing Less with Less
- Television - Chattin' It up With iCarly's Miranda Cosgrove
- Television - Recurring Reality's Faux Sheen
- America Through the Reality Lens
- Television - TV Vets Assess Sitcoms
- Decade of Rapid Change
- TV's Best for 2009: Can't Pick Just 10
- Behind the Scenes at the Food Network
Copyright © 2011 DIANE FARR DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES, INC.