Cooper's decision to create a new talker with Telepictures ended speculation that he might be in line to replace
"They don't seem to be in a real hurry to anoint someone to replace Regis," Katz Television analyst
The addition of a Cooper talker in the marketplace could also crowd out shows that are performing in the mid-range, such as "The Rachael Ray Show" and "The Doctors."
WBDTD also thinks it may have a shot with stations (including WABC New York) that decided to fill the Oprah Winfrey void with more local news. Whether those stations would be willing to scrap those plans remains to be seen, however.
Cooper may have also beat another newsie to the punch in daytime. Should "CBS Evening News" anchor
"There is a great opportunity in the marketplace for this type of show," Werner said. "Fall '11 begins a transition period when long-established franchises are leaving the air and making way for a new generation of shows.
But Cooper is by no means the heir to Oprah Winfrey's throne:
"The real question is going to be, what time periods are available?" said Katz Television analyst
Cooper will also have to walk a bit of a fine line as he maintains his news credentials on
Former newsies like
"With this new program I hope to relay important information and relate to people and the audience in a completely different way," Cooper said in the release announcing his show. "It's an exciting opportunity to show another side of myself and create something worthwhile and special in daytime."
- Anderson Cooper Set for New Television Talk Show
- Reality Bug Bites TV Stars of the '80s
- Discovery Channel Aims Higher: Enlightened Reality TV
- If God is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise
- Katrina Kicks Off Tragedy Calendar
- Mad Men
- 8 Kids with 6 Moms? NFL Star Is Shameful
- Inside Nigel Lythgoe's Plans for American Idol
- Will Emmy Finally Gleam for Ann-Margret?
- DeGeneres Leaving 'American Idol': Jennifer Lopez May Be Joining
- 'Anderson Cooper Set for New Television Talk Show' - Great Show Set in Not-So-Great Era
- CNN's Larry King to Sign Off: Host Announces His Departure
- C-SPAN Now Reaches 100 Million Homes
- TV Networks Should Rethink Summer Strategy
- Fat Times For Weight-Loss TV Shows
- Grading Network Television Fall Schedules
- 'Lost' Found 'Net Niche: Stoked TV-Centric Blogosphere Fires
- Betty White - What We Can Learn From the Golden Girl
- Why News Is Aimed At Your Emotions
- Police Work and Reality TV: Not a Good Fit
- Media Overreaches As 'Lost' and Other TV Series Finish Up
- Television - Can TV News Be Saved?
- Television - Network News Doing Less with Less
- Television - Chattin' It up With iCarly's Miranda Cosgrove
- Television - Recurring Reality's Faux Sheen
- America Through the Reality Lens
- Television - TV Vets Assess Sitcoms
- Decade of Rapid Change
- TV's Best for 2009: Can't Pick Just 10
- Behind the Scenes at the Food Network
(c) 2010 Brian Lowry, Variety