Social media giant Twitter says it was hacked recently, in a sophisticated cyber attack that exposed the passwords and other information of about 250,000 users.
The company said in a blog post that it had detected unauthorized attempts to gain access to its user data. The site's information security director, Bob Lord, said Twitter employees discovered one live attack and shut it down in process moments later.
Twitter said it reset passwords and that it was notifying affected users.
Unlike the New York Times and Wall Street Journal newspapers, which said they were attacked by Chinese hackers, Twitter did not provide any information on where the hacking had originated. But Lord said in the posting that the attack was "not the work of amateurs," and that Twitter does not believe it was an isolated incident. He called the attackers "extremely sophisticated."
The company said it is working with government and federal law enforcement in their effort to track down the attackers to make the Internet safer for all users.
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
- Web Companies Need to Step Up on Protecting Kids Privacy
- We Humans Headed Toward Obsolescence
- Chinese Telecom Giants Deny Allegations Huawei, ZTE Pose Security Threats
- Google to be Top Ad Revenue Earner by End of this Year
- Microsoft to Use Google's Mistake to Boost Market Push for Bing
- Microsoft to Chinese companies: Stop Using Pirated Copies of Office
- Germany's IT Watchdog Warns Users Against Internet Explorer
- eBay Unveils New Design, Launches Same Day Delivery Service
- 6 Apps for a Good Night's Sleep
- Best iPhone Apps for Moms
- 4 Physical Therapy Apps That Speed Healing
VOA News, "Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack"