New York, NY
Apple's long rumored wristwatch is set to be unveiled this year, according to sources. It's speculated that the wristwatch will be called iWatch and will run iOS. The project is the brainchild of chief designer Jony Ive, who years ago ordered Nike wristwatches for his team to study.
There's optimism about Apple's latest project.
"Apple can merge fashion with function. An Apple watch could triple the size of the watch business in a year or two. They have the opportunity to get everyone that owns a cell phone to go out and buy another watch," NPD Group analyst Marshal Cohen said, according to Bloomberg.
The watch is reported to be designed by Ive himself and under his disposal are numerous engineers.
The current iPod touch nano runs a specialized touch OS, but Apple is planning its wristwatch to act as an actual smartphone. Aside from that, the planned wristwatch is rumored to be able to perform some iPad features. One of the problems Apple's wristwatch faces is how long will the duration of the battery last, which according to rumors is around 4 to 5 days.
Apple isn't the only company innovating the wearable technology category. Google is also anticipated to unveil its interactive Google Glasses.
Rumors of an iWatch have resurfaced. CNET's Sumi Das asks Josh Lowensohn how a timepiece from Apple might function and whether or not we should put any stock in the scuttlebutt
The real skinny on Apple's 'iWatch'
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
(c) 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved, "Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year"