It's easier than ever to use your phone to help your health -- and a lot of the time, the best resources are even free. Here are 10 must-have Android apps that will help keep your eating and exercise on track, soothe you when you're stressed, help your child brush his teeth better, even guide you through an emergency. So what are you waiting for? Start downloading!
Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal:
With a nutritional database of almost 600,000 foods, 350 different exercises, multiple trackers and daily reports, this app gives you essential tools for sticking to a healthy eating and exercise plan. It's also linked to a great website and community where you can get support from fellow dieters.
Digital 3D Yoga:
Bored with your current yoga routine? Traveling and can't hit up your usual yoga studio? Take your practice to the next level -- and on the go -- with more than 1,500 images and descriptions of different positions, along with each move's health benefits. Best for those who are already familiar with yoga basics.
Daily Ab Workout:
Five minutes is all it takes to get firmer abs, featuring a routine led by a certified personal trainer that targets all the major muscles. If you like the results, the same company makes daily arm and butt workouts as well -- all gratis.
Take your workout on the road with 120 exercise routines -- from squats to planks to running -- that can be done in a hotel room, no equipment needed. Of course, they're great at home too.
Want your kids to brush for the two minutes recommended for optimal dental health? Just hand them your phone. Silly smiley-face characters make brushing seem like a game. They'll be done before they even think of complaining.
The next time your boss yells at you or you're stuck waiting in a long line, start up this app. In just five minutes, its structured breathing exercises will help you relieve anxiety and stress.
Lightning Bug Sleep Clock:
This app is a sound machine, relaxation device and alarm all in one. Soothe yourself to sleep with the soft sounds of rain, ocean waves or white noise.
iMeds - Medication Reference:
Check this app whenever you get a new prescription or before taking OTC meds. It contains a database of key information on more than 7,000 FDA-approved drugs, including the proper dosage, side effects and interactions.
Developed by doctors at the University of Washington, this app offers instructional videos on how to correctly perform CPR and aid to someone who's choking, whether it is an infant, a child or an adult.
ICE: In Case of Emergency:
This app could save your life! In the case you can't communicate, it will alert first responders to your medical conditions, prescriptions and other essential info. It also lists your emergency contacts and doctors.
Nancy Kalish is the managing editor of this website. She is also a certified health coach who works with clients one-on-one and in groups
- The Internet Grows Up
- Ten Ways to Keep Your Online Information Secure
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- The Only 10 Android Health Apps You Need
- Connected TV
- Near-Field Communication Technology the Next Big Thing
- The Future of 3-D Video
- Is Your Teen Sexting?
- Should You Ban Your Tweens From Facebook?
- Home Movies: Then and Now
- Is Social Media Malware Infecting Your Business?
- Is Your Tween (Illegally) on Facebook?
- Are Free Public Wi-Fi Networks Safe?
- Explosion of Creativity: Power of Online Communities
- The Future According to Google
- 5 Cheap Alternatives to Hiring a Personal Trainer
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Colleges Bring Campuses to Facebook
- Technology Powers Revolutions and Saves Lives
- Best Photo Apps
- Virtual World No Substitute for Real One
- Best Phone Apps for Busy Women
- How to Prevent Identity Theft
- How to Use Facebook So It Does not Use You
- Worst-case Computer Scenarios
- Google Chrome OS Notebook: A Security Game Changer?
- What Is Cloud Computing?
- How to Prevent Data Breaches
- Best Tips for Sharing Videos
- Do You Need an iPad for Your Small Business?
- The App Guide: 5 Must-have Shopping Apps
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Who's Gawking at Your Photos?
- Dealing With Virtual Stalking
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- How to Get the Best Service From IT Vendors
- Dating Apps: The Lowdown
- New Website Streamlines College-Aid Application
- Gift-card Resale Market Thrives Online
- Stop Cyberbullying Now!
- 5 Cloud Tools to Boost Your Productivity
- Mobile Pay Can Give You an Edge
- How to Find the Best Deals Online
- Should You 'Friend' Your Teens Online?
- Should You Really Post That Comment?
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- How Repressive Regimes Use the Internet to Keep Power
- WikiLeaks: Diplomacy as Usual
- The Rising Threat of USB Drives
- Integrate Cloud Solutions With Caution
- Tech Solutions to Track Your Resolutions
- Crash Course in Computer Maintenance
- How to Pick the Right Cloud Provider
- Web Tools for Starting a Small Business
- 4 Life-changing Resolutions You Can Stick to
- Create Your Own Social Network
- What the Web Says About You
- FTC Chairman: 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Help Web Thrive
- 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Put a Stop to the Internet As We Know It
- Are Federal 'Do Not Track' Rules Needed?
- The Political Power of Social Media
- Top 3 Kid-safe Social Networks
- 5 Ways to Cultivate Your Kids' Online Reputation
- Preparing Our Children for Global Digital Citizenship Success
- The Great E-reader Roundup
- The NFL's Highest-scoring Apps
- New Gadgets Straight From the Big Screen
- A Game Plan for Protecting Stored Data
- The Drive for Real-time Collaboration
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Leading New Developments in Visual Computing
- Meet Mr. Industrial: Justin Lassen's Music Machine
- Must-see TV on the Internet
- Share Safely on Social Networks
- 6 Essential Rules for Safe Online Shopping
- Five Steps to Kid-friendly Surfing
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Create a Web Site or Blog for Your Family
- Video Eyewear for Sunglass Cinema
- Smart Phone Apps Help Stop Distracted Driving
- Online Computer Backup Services Remove Hassle
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.