Rachel Koning Beals
A record 92.5 percent of online retailers say they'll offer free shipping
Skipping shipping and handling costs for online purchases can go a long way toward helping you stick to a holiday budget. Toss in gas and parking savings, not to mention convenience and ease, and the appeal grows.
A record 92.5 percent of online retailers will offer free shipping at some point this holiday season, according to the
"What many consumers don't realize is that retailers often build the cost of this kind of promotion into their holiday budgets months in advance," NRF spokesperson
According to a Shop.org survey, 36 percent of holiday shoppers say free shipping is one of the top reasons they plan to spend more online than at traditional brick-and-mortar retailers this year. The polled group also cited 24-hour convenience and lack of crowds in favor of online shopping.
A separate survey, conducted by digital marketing consultancy comScore, asked consumers how important free shipping is for making an online purchase this holiday season. Slightly more than three-quarters (76 percent) of those surveyed indicated it was important and 47 percent indicated they would abandon a purchase if they got to the virtual checkout and found that free shipping was not included.
Anemic economic conditions are driving consumers to demand perks like free shipping. "With the persistent backdrop of macroeconomic uncertainty and continued high unemployment, consumers appear to be increasingly favoring the online benefits of convenience and lower prices," says
Free shipping is expected to help retailers attract a growing number of mobile-device and social-media users who may be comparison shopping right in the aisles, at work, or on the go. In a tough pricing war, free shipping may make all the difference in determining what retailer a prudent shopper chooses.
Shoppers must keep in mind that restrictions apply, including, in some cases, a minimum purchase amount. Consumers may have little say in how quickly the gifts will arrive. Express shipping is typically subject to additional fees.
Consumer website freeshipping.org tracks nearly 4,000 stores for free shipping promotions and alerts users to whether a particular offer has a holiday expiration or is ongoing. It even keeps a list of retailers willing to ship for free to
Some retailers offer shipping promotions throughout the year, under certain conditions. Department store
As always, reading all the terms, conditions, and exclusions will reduce the risk of unexpected add-ons that can quickly gobble up cyber savings.
Another route to consider: Many credit card rewards programs, such as the Discover Card Cashback Bonus, which allow cardholders to cash in their accumulated bonus at participating retail partners, will ship the merchandise free of charge. Tapping credit card rewards, and taking advantage of the free shipping, is another way to stick to a holiday spending budget.
- Google Unveils 'Find My Face' Recognition Tool
- Why Investors Should Keep Their Eyes on the Cloud
- 10 Ways to Stay Safe While Shopping Online
- Take Advantage of Free Shipping Deals This Holiday Season
- Online Shopping Deals Hurt State Budgets
- Tips for Shopping With Your Smartphone
- Seven Rules of Successful Bloggers
- Twitter Redesigns Site, Aims for Simplicity
- 3 Ways to Use Foursquare to Connect With Your College
- United States Reacts to Indian Government's Efforts to Censure Online Content
- Will Apple Be the Same Without Steve Jobs?
- Steve Jobs: 6 Secrets of Success
- Open Clouds
- The Cloud: A Security Solution for Small Business
- 4 Twitter Tips for Business Success
- Twitter: How to Tweet to Get Results
- 3 Sneaky New Online Scams to Avoid
- How to Boost Your Reputation and Build an Audience Online
- 5 Facebook Privacy Settings You Should Change Now
- Why IT Drives Success in Business
- 2 Tech Investments Worth Making -- and 1 That Wasn't
- Where New Parallel Developments Fit Into Your Toolkit
- Energy Savings in the Cloud
- Protect Youth From Online Harassment
- The Truth About E-readers
- Google Chrome: 3 Rare Features You'll Love
- How to Use Google+
- 4 Collaboration Tools to Transform Your Projects
- Facebook Business Strategies That Work
- Are Your Employees Addicted to Social Media?
- How to Be Successful: Think Like Larry Ellison
- The Ultimate Tech Wish List
- 4 Ways to Protect Your Kids Online
- 5 Smartphone Picks Made Simple
- HPC: Coming to an IT Shop Near You?
- Getting Physical with Virtual Servers
- Near Field Communication: Niche Tech or Next Big Thing?
- Getting to Know NoSQL
- Is Ruby on Rails a Crown Jewel?
- How to Prevent Insider Attacks
- Cyber Security as a Wicked Problem
- 5 Apps and Strategies for Mobile Security
- Mobile Hot Spot: How to Choose the Right One
- iCloud Seeks to Cement Loyalty of Apple Users
- The Role of Google+ in Business
- Number of Wireless Gadgets Now Outnumbers American Population
- Apple iPhone 4S Sales Enjoy Strong Start
- Android Smartphones Beat Sales of Apple iPhones
- Twitter Good Barometer of National Emotional State
- How to Manage Tech Support in Today's Chaotic Climate
- An Alternative Eulogy for Steve Jobs
- Top 11 Technologies on the Verge of Extinction
- The Top 5 Movie Phones
- Why You Need Double Protection Now: Hardware and Software
- The Long-term Commitment of Embedded Wireless
Copyright © 2011 U.S. News & World Report