Mountian View, CA
Search engine and internet giant Google debuted "Find My Face".
The new tool designed for its Google+ users is Google's first step into the growing field of social facial recognition.
The "Find My Face" tool exists as a tag for its Google+ social network.
The tool scans users' and their friends photos for recognizable faces, and then suggests nametags for the faces by matching them with users' profile photos and other tagged photos on Google's social network site Google+.
Google has privacy as its main concern in the the new launch.
"Find My Face" is unlike Facebook in that it prompts users to first opt into the service before atomically suggesting to their friend that they be tagged in photos. Google also requires the subject of a suggested tag to approve it before it goes public.
Tagging is the digital equivalent of writing names on the back of of photo.
- Google Unveils 'Find My Face' Recognition Tool
- Why Investors Should Keep Their Eyes on the Cloud
- 10 Ways to Stay Safe While Shopping Online
- Take Advantage of Free Shipping Deals This Holiday Season
- Online Shopping Deals Hurt State Budgets
- Tips for Shopping With Your Smartphone
- Seven Rules of Successful Bloggers
- Twitter Redesigns Site, Aims for Simplicity
- 3 Ways to Use Foursquare to Connect With Your College
- United States Reacts to Indian Government's Efforts to Censure Online Content
- Will Apple Be the Same Without Steve Jobs?
- Steve Jobs: 6 Secrets of Success
- Open Clouds
- The Cloud: A Security Solution for Small Business
- 4 Twitter Tips for Business Success
- Twitter: How to Tweet to Get Results
- 3 Sneaky New Online Scams to Avoid
- How to Boost Your Reputation and Build an Audience Online
- 5 Facebook Privacy Settings You Should Change Now
- Why IT Drives Success in Business
- 2 Tech Investments Worth Making -- and 1 That Wasn't
- Where New Parallel Developments Fit Into Your Toolkit
- Energy Savings in the Cloud
- Protect Youth From Online Harassment
- The Truth About E-readers
- Google Chrome: 3 Rare Features You'll Love
- How to Use Google+
- 4 Collaboration Tools to Transform Your Projects
- Facebook Business Strategies That Work
- Are Your Employees Addicted to Social Media?
- How to Be Successful: Think Like Larry Ellison
- The Ultimate Tech Wish List
- 4 Ways to Protect Your Kids Online
- 5 Smartphone Picks Made Simple
- HPC: Coming to an IT Shop Near You?
- Getting Physical with Virtual Servers
- Near Field Communication: Niche Tech or Next Big Thing?
- Getting to Know NoSQL
- Is Ruby on Rails a Crown Jewel?
- How to Prevent Insider Attacks
- Cyber Security as a Wicked Problem
- 5 Apps and Strategies for Mobile Security
- Mobile Hot Spot: How to Choose the Right One
- iCloud Seeks to Cement Loyalty of Apple Users
- The Role of Google+ in Business
- Number of Wireless Gadgets Now Outnumbers American Population
- Apple iPhone 4S Sales Enjoy Strong Start
- Android Smartphones Beat Sales of Apple iPhones
- Twitter Good Barometer of National Emotional State
- How to Manage Tech Support in Today's Chaotic Climate
- An Alternative Eulogy for Steve Jobs
- Top 11 Technologies on the Verge of Extinction
- The Top 5 Movie Phones
- Why You Need Double Protection Now: Hardware and Software
- The Long-term Commitment of Embedded Wireless
Copyright © 2011 U.S. News & World Report