Jay Leno: Mr. Nice Guy (Photo: NBC)
by Cal Thomas
Anyone in the news business will tell you that a side benefit is the diverse number of people one gets to meet.
The circumstances surrounding our first meeting involved a column I wrote 15 years ago in support of his wife's activism on behalf of Afghan women.
Last October when we attended the show, I asked him why he wouldn't want to move to another network after leaving
On a previous visit I asked him why he never had a substitute host. He said, "Are you kidding? That's how I got the job." He often subbed for
If you saw the "60 Minutes" interview Sunday night, you witnessed what seemed like genuine humility from a man at the top of his game. That is rare in entertainment and in politics.
I once asked him why the show wasn't labeled "starring," instead of "with
Once he invited us to a movie screening on the Fox lot, not far from the
I have been privileged to know two of "The Tonight Show's" four hosts.
Leno has had some detractors, including a few fellow entertainers (I call them "B-listers") who criticized what they regarded as his bad behavior during
The website splitside.com offers "9 Reasons Why Jay Leno's Retirement Will Be the End of Late Night Drama," by which it means rivalries among hosts. Writes splitside, "It's likely ... that this will be the last headline-grabbing talk show power struggle for a while because the late-night landscape has changed so much the past few years. And it probably won't be a bloody battle like the last one given how super polite and new to the job
Reason number nine is: "Once Jay Leno retires, there will be no more Jay Lenos." That's for sure.
One more mark of Leno's graciousness is something
Jay Leno's Heartfelt Goodbye
Jay Leno takes a bow after 22 years of hosting The Tonight Show
- Fake Royal TV Show Among Bottom of the Heap
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - CNN: Overkill News Network
- Colbert's Irony and Twitter Don't Mix
- News Candy for the Ears
- What to Do When Your Favorite TV Show Ends
- Oscars Host DeGeneres Sets Retweet Record
- Jay Leno: Mr. Nice Guy
- What 'Teen Mom' TV Shows Don't Show
- Hate-Watching Fake DC on TV
- Greatest 90s TV Theme Songs You Almost Forgot
- Find Out How Many Days It Takes To Binge Watch Your Favorite Shows
- 'Silicon Valley' Cast Answers: Who's the Greatest Nerd of All Time?
- The Daily Show on Beyonce's Sexy Videos
- Grey's Anatomy Exclusive Clip
- Top 10 Cartoon Dads from TV
- TV Show Cancellation and Renewal Predictions
- The Definition of Love That Made Oprah Say "Wow"
- Michel Gill of 'House of Cards' Talks About Being President
- 'The Bachelor' Juan Pablo Reacts to Haters
- J.J. Abrams Wants Us To "Believe"
- Is There Too Much Sex and Nudity on 'Game of Thrones'?
- The Most Awkward 'Bachelor' Finale Ever
Article: Copyright © 2014, Tribune Content Agency, LLC. "Jay Leno: Mr. Nice Guy"