Bradley Wiggins Firm Favorite in Olympic Cycling
2012 London Summer Olympics
He might have come a cropper in the road race a few days back -- where he brought up the rear -- but Britain's famous son, Bradley Wiggins, is confident of doing the honors for his country in time trial.
Fresh from the historic Tour de France win less than 10 days back, the three-time gold-medalist on the track, Wiggins will go into the grueling 44km time trial as firm favorite after triumphing in both the long time trials on the Tour.
With the event scheduled to happen around London's Hampton Court Palace, there will be the added motivation of thousands of Londoners cheering for their hero.
A win for Wiggins will make him the most successful Olympian from his country with seven medals. Currently he is tied with former rower, Steve Redgrave, on six. While Redgrave's haul includes five gold, Wiggins has three in his kitty.
Speaking to the media on the eve of the event, Wiggins said he had already set the benchmark on the Tour de France and noting was going to change.
"The benchmark is there really, so nothing is going to change from that performance to Wednesday," he said.
What makes Wiggins the firm favorite for the title is the fact that two of his biggest rivals -- reigning Olympic champion Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland and reigning world champion from Germany Tony Martin -- are not in the best of form.
Cancellara was forced to quit the Tour de France early as his wife was expecting. Subsequently, a nasty fall during last week's Olympic road race left his shoulder badly bruised. Martin pulled out of the Tour early because of a wrist fracture. But Wiggins was not taking any chances, saying that nothing comes easy in the Olympics.
The host country will also be pinning their hopes on Chris Froome, the Tour de France runner-up. Froome, who was born and brought up in Kenya, was confident of Wiggins claiming the top spot, saying the course suited him well.
Wiggins, who has been in fighting form after overcoming a collarbone injury which forced him to pull out of last year's Tour de France, was quoted as saying that his unimpressive performance in the Olympic road race event a few days back was because he couldn't figure out a strategy. "Compared with time trial, road race is far more unpredictable," he said.
But Wednesday's time trial would give Wiggins enough motivation to get back to winning ways. Unlike the uphill drag he encountered on the Seven Hills Road during the road race, Wiggins is unlikely to encounter such hardships on the flat 44km course for the time trial.
Only time will tell.
2012 London Olympics - videos
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
- LeBron James Helps Rally USA Men to 99-94 Victory Over Lithuania
- United States Overwhelms Czech Republic in Women's Basketball
- American Olympic Boxer's Loss Overturned
- Leuris Pupo Brings Cheers to Medal-Starved Cuba
- United States Women Pursue Soccer Gold After Crushing New Zealand
- Brits Strike It Rich in Olympic Cycling After Opening-Day Blunder
- American Swimmers Roll On
- Golden Run Continues: Michael Phelps Swells Medals Tally to 21
- Federer Escapes del Potro, Advances to Olympic Final vs Murray
- Michael Phelps: Triple Golds in the Pool
- Gabby Douglas: America's Newest Sweetheart
- Guor Marial Once Ran For His Life; Now He's Running For Gold
- Lithuanian Spectator Arrested for Nazi Salute
- Sharapova and Serena Battle for Olympic Tennis Gold
- Brazil's Yane Marques Carrying a Dream of a Nation
- Team USA Basketballers Draw Praise from Dream Team
- USA Sets All-Time Olympic Scoring Record in Blowout of Nigeria
- Team USA vs Nigeria Post-Game Quotes
- Team USA vs Nigeria Box Score
- Spain Survives Great Britain in Men's Basketball
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Men Upset Brazil
- Gabby Douglas Captures All-Around Event Gymnastics Gold
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Win in 3
- Gibb and Rosenthal Win Fast, Win Pool
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Women Trim China to Stay Undefeated
- Michael Phelps Eclipses Overall Medal Count Record
- Federer and Wawrinka Stunned in Olympic Doubles
- Badminton Fixing Scandal Breaks Out at Olympics
- Wiggins Clinches Time Trial Gold
- France Trips Canada - Books Trip to Women's Basketball Quarterfinals
- Tancredi Scores Twice as Canada Moves on With Draw Against Sweden
- Army Sergeant Hancock Shoots Down Skeet Gold for Second Time
- Bradley Wiggins Firm Favorite in Olympic Cycling
- Battered and Bruised Spain Overcomes Australia in Men's Olympic Basketball
- Djokovic On Course for Olympic Showdown with Nemesis Federer
- Ruta Meilutyte Sets New Benchmark in Olympic Swimming
- United States Women Gymnasts Capture First Team Gold Since 1996
- Munich Massacre Survivor Remembers
- Michael Phelps Equals Medals Mark
- Djokovic Rips Roddick, Advances to Third Round at Olympics
- Spain Routs Australia for Second Olympic Basketball Win
- Swimmer Missy Franklin New Face of American Olympians
- Diving Queen Wu Mingxia Nets Hat-Trick
- Chinese Teen Swim Sensation Says She's Clean
- Marcus Browne Loss Snaps US Win Streak in Olympic Boxing
- Thorburn Leads Canada Past Great Britain in Women's Basketball
- China Drubs Croatia in Women's Olympics Basketball
- Chastain to Solo: 'I'm Just Doing My Job' in Women's Soccer Squabble
- Rhode Rides On Determination to Clinch Gold in Skeet
- Murray Tops Wawrinka at Summer Games; Radwanska Falls to Goerges
- Identity of 'Mystery' Woman with Indian Contingent Revealed
- Olympic Tickets Sold Out Yet Stadiums Are Empty
- World Champ Jordyn Wieber Disappoints in All-Around Gymnastics
- Kevin Durant Nets 22 Points as Team USA Clobbers France
- Superb Skeet Shooter: Kimberly Rhode Shoots Way to Gold
- Yi Siling Clinches First Gold at Games; Wins Shooting Event
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov Captures Gold in Road Racing
- Albanian Weightlifter Expelled After Testing Positive for Stanozolol
- Big Letdown for Phelps as Lochte and Chinese Swimmers Take Limelight
- London Welcomes the World with Spectacular and Inclusive Opening Ceremony
- Breakdown of the London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Opening Ceremony
- Dong-Hyun Eclipses own World-Record in Archery
- United States and Brazil Favorites to Battle for Olympic Volleyball Gold
- Healthy Usain Could Also 'Bolt From Blue' in 4x400M Relay
- London Olympics Kicks Off with Fireworks
- Michael Phelps Set to Swim for More Gold at London Games
- Greek Tragedy: Two Athletes Shipped Home from Olympics
- London Games Organizers Apologize After Korean Flag Blunder
- Roger Federer and Fellow Tennis Stars Take Swing at Olympic Gold
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Ben Ainslie, British Sailors to Launch Olympic Bid at Weymouth Beach
- Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
- Greek Triple Jumper Expelled for Controversial Tweet
- Greece Carries Weight of Economic Crisis to London Olympics
- How to Be a Millionaire? Win Gold for Georgia
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved