Several weeks ago, I had a conversation with a bankruptcy judge in
Lenders are having a difficult time proving they have the right to foreclose, and the judge said she's not surprised that her colleagues are, in some cases, throwing the foreclosures out of court.
Like many, she is appalled that lenders feel they can file affidavits that aren't truthful, signed by "robo-signers" who never reviewed documents they swore were reviewed. She wonders whether lenders feel they have to follow the rule of law at all. She is concerned by troubled and upset homeowners who are being snowed into submission by extraordinary amounts of paperwork showered on them by lenders and their attorneys.
I wonder how long it will take those homeowners, who are in trouble but for whom filing for bankruptcy just isn't an option, to find their way out.
I've been watching the foreclosure crisis unfold since 2007, when the markets started to go bad and homeowners started to lose their jobs by the millions. The government's Making Home Affordable (HAMP), and other loan modification programs have been an unmitigated disaster. Barely a tenth of those who applied for relief have received it. In the meantime, millions of homeowners have lost their homes, had their credit destroyed, and watched their financial lives vaporize.
What do you think they found?
Here's how Barr put it: "The bulk of the examination work to date focused on the foreclosure process has found widespread and, in our judgment, inexcusable breakdowns in the foreclosure process."
What's really inexcusable is that the regulators from the
The loan modifications programs are all voluntary. There are obscure net present value (NPV) calculations that are done that eliminate wide swaths of homeowners from assistance. Transparency is, by and large, a joke. And now we know that the foreclosure process is truly as "inexcusable" as homeowners have been claiming.
The government, through its conservatorship of
But homeowners and those on
Why is anyone surprised that lenders are taking advantage of homeowners? What's really surprising is that it has taken more than two years for the government to see what's going on, and to catch it in action.
It's easy to see how
- Why It's Time to Reconsider House-Hunting
- Jobs and Real Estate Tethered for Better or Worse
- Not Wise to Order Your Own Appraisal Before Refinance
- Foreclosure Process In Deep Crisis; Is Government Finally Noticing?
- How Much Should You Pay to Refinance?
- Interest Rates Drop Again But Will Housing Market Perk Up?
- On Sale: Retirement Havens
- Appraisal Problems Kill Opportunity For Lower Mortgage Rate
- Our Big Fat Foreclosure Mess
- What to Expect When You're Closing on Your Mortgage Loan
- Shopping for a Home When There's Too Much to Buy
- Finding Second Home Bargains
- America's 10 Slowest Appreciating Housing Markets
- The Costs of Retiring with a Mortgage
- Prepaying a Mortgage: When Does It Maske Sense
- Shorter-Term Mortgages Make Sense for Some
- Thinking About Refinancing? Get Moving
- 10 Historic Places to Retire
- Do You Live in a High-Debt City?
- How to Get a Government-Backed, Zero-Down-Payment Mortgage
- Housing Demand Evaporates As Stimulus Ends
- Home Prices Likely to Slide After Sales Plummet
- 9 Reasons to Choose a New Home Over a Resale
- What will happen to the housing market?
- Pay Off Investment Property or Pay Off Primary Residence?
- 9 Smart Ways to Come Up with Down-Payment Cash
- More Federal Help for Struggling Homeowners
- Home Builders Not Driving Economic Recovery
- Packing for a Move Is an Art Unto Itself
- An Expert Looks at the Future Of Real Estate
- How Financial Reform Affects Home Buyers
- 10 Best Places to Reinvent Your Life in Retirement
- Housing Market Takes Another Step Backwards
- When Buying Distressed Property Know All Liabilities That Come With It
- 3 Ways to Invest in the Real Estate Rally
- Will the REITs Rally Continue?
- Home Prices Improve But May Soon Begin Sliding
- Home Sales Rebound From Record-Low Levels
- Downward Pressure on Home Prices Mounts
- Dirt-Cheap Mortgage Rates: Here for How Long?
- 6 Reasons the Housing Market Hasn't Recovered
- Distressed Home Sales to Sandbag Housing Revival
- Home Sales Poised to Drop in Coming Months
- Did You Miss Out on 2010 Home Buyer Tax Credits? It May Not Matter
- New Home Sales Plummet to Record Low
- The Housing Market's Unexpected Drop
- Builders Break Ground on Fewer Homes
- Home Builders Grow Gloomy As Tax Credit Ends
- Housing Market Predictions Change with Lousy Housing Sales Numbers
- Homebuyer Tax Credit Deadline May Be Extended
- Home Repossessions Hit New Record High
- Applications Point to Slow Summer Housing Season
- Bank of America Program to Forgive Loan Principal for Some Borrowers
- Home Prices Have Further to Fall: Here's Why
- 10 Cities for Retirement Property Steals
- What Home Sales Jump Means for Economic Recovery
- Why Housing is Headed for Second-Half Headaches
- Mortgage Rates Are at Historic Low, but LIBOR Is Rising
- Unloading a Timeshare No Simple Task
- Loan Modification Nightmare Continues As More Americans Pay Their Mortgage Late
- How to Identify Ideal Vacation Rental Property
- 7 Ways to Avoid a Crummy Real Estate Agent
- Rules To Improve Credit History and Raise Credit Score
- Confused About New World of Mortgage Finance? You're Not Alone
- Underwater on Mortgage But Too Much Skin in Game to Walk Away
- 7 Reasons to Downsize in Retirement
- Investment Property Costs: Add These Real Estate Expenses to Your Budget
- Don't Make These Real Estate Investing Mistakes
- Don't Make These Real Estate Investing Mistakes (Part 2)
- 12 Hidden Costs of Homeownership
- Don't Sign Over Title Until Your Name's Off the Mortgage
- Quitclaim Deed Not a Way to Get Mortgage Modification
- Nine Ways to Make Your Home More Appealing to Buyers
- Loan Modification Angst
- Obama Housing Rescue Tackles Unemployment & Underwater Loans
- How Much House Can I Afford? Calculating Home Affordability
- Home Sales Flat Before Spring Buying Season
- More Homeowners Pursue Remodeling Projects
- America's Most Underwater Housing Markets
- Energy-Efficient Updates Help Homeowners Save Cash
- Home Buying Checklist: What Savvy Home Buyers Need to Know
- Social Networking for Realtors Mortgage Lenders Buyers and Sellers
- Home Affordable Program Failing Homeowners
- Rate of Home Price Declines Slows, But More Drops May Be Ahead
- The Future of Home-Price Appreciation
- What Tanking Home Sales Mean for Economic Recovery
- Home Foreclosures Approach Peak Range
Real Estate - Foreclosure Process In Deep Crisis; Is Government Finally Noticing?
(c) 2010 Ilyce Glink