Getting Your Kids to Help Clean
You probably remember visiting the apartments of college friends who never had to clean up after themselves as a kid (and maybe you were that college kid!). But skipping the housework when you’re young can lead to one icky apartment when you’re grown up. So besides saving you, Mom, time and energy -- which we all know are rare commodities -- having your kids help clean now teaches them valuable survival skills they’ll one day need when they’re living on their own. But let’s face it: Getting kids to help clean can be hard. So sometimes you’ve just got to get creative.
Our family starts off our chores by playing a “categories” game, where we make a list of tasks that need to be done per room. Each of us, including my husband and me, then chooses the chores we’d prefer to do.
Most of the time, if our kids get to choose something they like (or at least don’t mind), they’re fairly happy to do it. If it comes down to a few chores no one wants to do, sometimes you just have to play parent and allocate -- then stick to your guns.
Set a Timer (and Reward!)
Once the jobs are assigned, I set a timer and offer a small reward for the first one finished -- as long as they’ve done a good job. I’m a firm believer in rewards. As adults, we work much harder when we get paid or rewarded in some way, and so do our children. Sometimes I don’t offer money at all; I might give my kids a special privilege instead, like staying up later, going to a friend’s house, etc.
One good thing about a timer: If your children are small, you can set it for a short time and give them very small chores. Once they see how easy it is to complete a task, they’ll be more willing to help in the future.
If All Else Fails: Allowance Rules
If the categories game doesn’t work at your house, you can also allocate a weekly set of chores for each child and offer them a set amount of money for completing their cleaning. Think of it as an allowance; if it’s work well done, it’s money well deserved.
Julie Smart is the mother of five and a blogger at CouponSavingFamily.com
Available at Amazon.com:
- Checklist for Choosing Safe Day Care
- Ways to Save on After-school Programs
- Getting Your Kids to Help Clean
- A Parent's Guide to Coughs
- Team up With Schools to Fight Flu Season
- Build a Happy World for Your Baby
- Green Your Kid: Gardening
- Keep Your Athletes Hydrated On and Off the Field
- Fighting Drugs With the Power of Sleep
- Break That Hovering Habit Early
- Back-to-School Shoppers Hunt for Deals
- Green Your Back-to-School Shopping
- How to Stop Your Baby's Wheezing and Prevent Asthma
- Back-to-school Advice
- Parents Guide to Playing Pretend
- The Power of Persuasion: Food Marketing Really Does Work
- Teaching Your Child Money Habits for Life
- 6 Essential Tips to Avoid Swimming Dangers
- Exercise for Kids: 5 Tips for Parents
- Too Much Screen Time for Kids Means Poorer Health
- Table Manners: Ready, Set, Napkins!
- Why Non-Parents Are Happier Than Parents
- Fast-track Your Morning Routine
- Enjoy Breakfast as a Family
- Planning Family Summer Vacations on a Budget
- Sharing a Room With a Sibling
- Have a Safe Trip
- Summer Activities for Kids
- Have a Healthy Vacation
- 6 Ways to Keep Family From Derailing Your Career
- Dressing Your Children on a Budget
- Top 5 Ways to Never Waste Food Again
- Stretch Your Family Meals
- Get Your Kitchen Cleaner Quicker
- Taking the Kids to a Broadway Musical
- Sunscreen Facts You Need to Know
- Internet Safety Tips for Teens
- Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
- Family Sunday Supper or Any Other Time
- Small Changes to Get out of Debt and Save Money
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- To Market The Farmers Market
- Keep Your House Spring-clean
- Creative Ways to Combine Work & Family
- Giving Mom Best Mother's Day Present She's Ever Had
- Show Mom You Love Her!
- Water Explorers
- Make Cleaning Fun and Get the Kids to Help Too
- Home Cleanup Shortcuts
- The Great Neighborhood Cook-off
- Family Room Clutter Busters
- 7 Steps to a Toxin-free Home
- Secrets to Money-saving Meals
- Growing a Family Garden
- How to Rush-proof Your Morning Routine
- Circus Games Backyard Big Top
- Ready, Set, Scavenge!
- How to Create a Crafty Home
- Brush With the Stars: Family Night out That's Free!
- Stress-free Birthday Bashes
- How to Raise Caring Kids
- Teenagers Testing My Patience
- Moms: Stop Kids Fears Before They Start
- Games for Building Better Family Bonds
- How to Organize and Store Vital Family Documents
- Battling Over Bedtimes? Not Anymore
- De-stress Your Mornings
- Giving Kids a Creative Edge
- New Twists on Family Game Night
- 4 Ways to Make Dinnertime Work
- Sibling Warfare? Stay Neutral
- Raise a Smart Spender
- Money for Something?
- Sick-day Strategies for Keeping Kids Entertained
- Sync With Your Spouse on Discipline Style
- What Kind of Parent Are You?
Copyright © 2010 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.