South African Olympic Runner Charged with Murder
Peter Cox, VOA News
Johannesburg, South Africa
Oscar Pistorius arrested after deadly shooting of his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, at his residence in Pretoria
South African running star Oscar Pistorius -- the first double-amputee to run at the Olympics -- will appear in court Friday on murder charges after a woman was shot dead at his residence. Peter Cox reports from Johannesburg on new details in the case.
Olympic and Paralympic athlete Pistorius, 26, was taken into custody early Thursday for allegedly shooting and killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Pretoria.
Confirming the shooting, police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Katlego Mogale said a murder case has been opened.
"In the early hours of this morning, police were called to an incident of shooting at Oscar Pistorius' house. When they arrived they found a 30-year-old woman being attended to by paramedics, who then declared her dead on the scene," he announced. "Further investigation in the house resolved a 9-millimeter firearm and a 26-year-old man has been taken into custody."
National police spokeswoman Denise Beukes told reporters there was no sign of forced entry at Pistorius' home in Pretoria.
"The only two people on the premises were the resident and the deceased," she said, "and again the number of shots fired are part of the ongoing investigation."
Pistorius was originally to appear in court Thursday afternoon. The appearance has now been postponed until Friday.
"The reason he did not appear today as it was planned, is because the police have been busy with the preliminary investigations," explained South Africa's National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Medupe Simasiku. "The preliminary forensic investigations, your blood test and stuff. Those are the things they need to do as soon as possible."
Simasiku added that Pistorius would be held overnight.
Before the murder
Police confirm reports that neighbors heard yelling and shouting at the running star's home at the time of the shooting. Police spokeswoman Beukes told reporters there have been calls to Pistorius' home before.
"I can't confirm whether it's related to the person who has been arrested, but I can confirm that there have previously been incidents at the home of Mr. Oscar Pistorius," Beukes said.
The victim is believed to be Pretorius’ girlfriend, former model Reeva Steenkamp, 30. Steenkamp's public relations agency, Capacity Relations, confirmed she has died.
Jane Celliers, the director of Steenkamp’s modeling agency, said Steenkamp was a vivacious and successful model -- and an accomplished law student. She had worked for the agency for seven years.
Celliers said Pistorius and Steenkamp started dating at the end of last year and that Steenkamp had been happy with Pistorius.
"We do not know what has happened and what has gone down at this time. We are just incredibly devastated, as you can imagine," she admitted. "And are waiting every half an hour. When the news comes on and are listening with bated breath to hear what is going on."
Pistorius was born without fibula bones and his legs were amputated below the knee when he was just 11 months old. He inspired millions by becoming a world class runner using high-tech prosthetics made out of a carbon-fiber compound. The prosthetics won him a nickname -- the "blade runner" -- and his performance earned him a spot on South Africa's track-and-field squad at last year's Olympics in London.
The news that one of the country's most well-known athletes has been involved in a shooting is leaving many South Africans stunned, including Lizelle Van Huyssteen of Johannesburg.
"I was just so shocked and dismayed and my first feeling was that it was very tragic and I feel sorry for the guy, if that's what happened," Van Huyssteen said.
As many here speculate on what may have happened at Pistorius' residence, they all can agree that the situation is tragic.
Olympian Pistorius Charged With Murder
- Bulgaria's Wrestling Coach Starts Hunger Strike to Protest IOC Decision
- Lakers Center Dwight Howard Eyes 2016 Olympics
- 'Blade Runner' Denies Murder Charges
- South African Olympic Runner Charged with Murder
- 'Blade Runner' Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder of Girlfriend
- IOC Recommends Dropping Wrestling from Olympics
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
- Austria, Latvia, Slovenia Advance to 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey Event
- British Sailing Duo Breaks Up Ahead of 2016 Rio Games
- Olympian Suzy Hamilton Admits Working as Las Vegas Escort
- Volleyball Federation Finalizes Criteria for 2016 Olympics
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
VOA News. "South African Olympic Runner Charged with Murder"