'Blade Runner' Denies Murder Charges
Anita Powell, VOA News
Pretoria, South Africa
South African Olympic star Oscar Pistorius appeared Friday in a Pretoria court after being charged with murder over the shooting death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, at his home. Prosecutors say they plan to make a case for premeditated murder at trial. The Pistorius family has issued a statement saying they disupte the murder charge "in the strongest terms."
The Oscar Pistorius who entered the courtroom Friday morning appeared a different man from the triumphant running superstar who wowed the world at the London Olympics. He made history at last year's Games by becoming the first double amputee to compete in a regular event.
The man known as the "Blade Runner" for his high-tech artificial legs entered his bail hearing with a drawn face. He blinked rapidly as the prosecutor announced the murder charge.
The 26-year-old then dropped his face into his hands and wept silently. A policewoman put a consoling hand on his shoulder.
Behind him, Pistorius' brother bowed his head into his hands as his father stared stonily ahead. His family said after the appearance they dispute the murder charge and extend sympathies to the Steenkamp family.
Reeva Steenkamp's family had also come to Pretoria to help identify her body. Her autopsy was conducted Friday.
Chief prosecutor Gerrie Nel said the prosecution will argue the murder was premeditated.
This story is as dramatic as Pistorius' own. He was born without fibula bones, and had his lower legs amputated as a child, but that did not stop him from reaching dramatic heights his sport. He holds six Paralympic gold medals.
News of the shooting rocked South Africa, where he is considered a hero and an emblem of a a nation that has struggled to overcome its own obstacles.
On Friday, both legal teams asked for the bail hearing to be postponed until next week to allow for more investigation.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Medupe Simasiku explained the reason behind the request.
"You have heard in court the case has been postponed to Tuesday and Wednesday, the reasons being to give the defense a chance to meet with the accused and get the information that they need to make a bail application," said Simasiku. "We as the NPA, we have agreed, it's not a preferential treatment, it's actually fair to the accused so he can make his defense like anyone. We did not oppose that based on that. ... I can't really reveal much based on what is our approach based on that. ... Up to so far as announced in court, the charge is murder, and the details thereof, I can't really say too much, it just stands as murder."
Pistorius will be held at a Pretoria police station until his hearing next week.
Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius wept in court as prosecutors said they'll pursue a charge of premeditated murder against him in the killing of his model girlfriend
'Blade Runner' Denies Murder Charges
- Bulgaria's Wrestling Coach Starts Hunger Strike to Protest IOC Decision
- Lakers Center Dwight Howard Eyes 2016 Olympics
- 'Blade Runner' Denies Murder Charges
- South African Olympic Runner Charged with Murder
- 'Blade Runner' Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder of Girlfriend
- IOC Recommends Dropping Wrestling from Olympics
- 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue
- Austria, Latvia, Slovenia Advance to 2014 Olympics Men's Hockey Event
- British Sailing Duo Breaks Up Ahead of 2016 Rio Games
- Olympian Suzy Hamilton Admits Working as Las Vegas Escort
- Volleyball Federation Finalizes Criteria for 2016 Olympics
- London Throws World's Biggest Party at Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Closing Ceremony
- London Olympics Closing Ceremony Nets Big Ratings for NBC
- Record-Breaking Olympic Games for Team USA
- The Moments That Defined Team USA
- Team USA: The Women's Games
- Team USA Men's Basketball: Defending Champs
- USA Battles Spain for 107-100 Win to Capture Olympic Gold Medal
- Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin Wins Grueling Olympic 50km Walk Gold
- Team USA Wraps Up Impressive London 2012 Games in Track and Field
- American Keflezighi Fourth in Men's Olympic Marathon
- Russia Wins Gold; Brazil and Italy Get Silver and Bronze
- Russia Comes From Behind to Beat Brazil for Men's Volleyball Gold
- Russian Dmitriy Muserskiy Sets Scoring Record on Way to Gold Medal
- Zaytsev Hopes Bronze will Take Italy Back to Top of Men's Volleyball World
- Italy Claims Men's Volleyball Bronze Medal vs Bulgaria
- Jake Varner Wins Freestyle Wrestling Olympic Gold Medal
- Destinee Hooker Named Best Spiker at Olympic Games
- Team USA Women's Hoops: Olympic Reign
- Krzyzewski's Team USA Goes for Gold
- Team USA Adds 1 Gold, 2 Silver as Medals Count Surges to 29
- David Boudia Wins Gold in Men's 10-Meter Platform Diving
- Footballers Give Mexico First-Ever Olympic Gold; Top Brazil in Final
- USA Women Capture Historic 5th-Straight Gold Medal with Win Over France
- Harrower Leads Australia to Bronze in Women's Basketball
- USA Women Take Silver After Loss to Brazil in Volleyball Final
- Brazil Stuns USA for Women's Volleyball Gold
- Japan Claims Women's Volleyball Bronze
- 2012 Olympic Games Women's Volleyball Results
- USA Men Shoot Down Argentina 109-83; Advance to Gold Medal Game
- Jordan Burroughs Delivers Wrestling Gold
- Usain Bolt - Carl Lewis Spat Erupts
- Destinee Hooker: Team USA Volleyball's Not-So-Secret Weapon
- Women's 4x100 Meters Relay: World-Record Pace
- Usain Bolt Makes History with Golden Double
- Women Break 4x100 WR; Men Win 4x400 Silver
- Pau Gasol Leads Spain Past Russia, Into Gold Medal Game
- Women's Volleyball Medal Round Preview: USA vs Brazil; Korea vs Japan
- Women's Volleyball Preview: USA vs Brazil Gold Medal Match
- Russia And Brazil to Clash in Men's Olympic Volleyball Final
- Brazil's World-Class Volleyball Outclasses Italy -- Advance to Olympic Final
- Russia Advances to Men's Volleyball Gold Medal Match
- Team USA Prepares for Olympic Track Relays
- Pistorius Pleased as South Africa Wins Appeal to Compete in 4x400M Relay Final
- Hungary's Eva Risztov Wins Grueling 10km Open Water Race
- Photo Finish
- Britain's Nicola Adams First Woman Boxer to Clinch Gold at Olympics
- Claressa Shields Makes History, Lands Lone Boxing Gold for USA
- Probe Opened into German Rower After Boyfriend Ejected from Games
- USA Women's Soccer: Redemption
- Team USA's Double 1-2 Punch
- Usain Bolt Retains 200 Meter Crown
- Team USA Men Finish 1-2 in Decathlon and Triple Jump
- Manteo Mitchell Breaks Leg During Relay Race, Finishes for Team
- USA Women Defeat Japan to Bag Soccer Gold Medal
- USA Women Defeat Spain 8-5 for First-ever Water Polo Gold
VOA News. "'Blade Runner' Denies Murder Charges"