Miami Hurricanes great and 1986 Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Vinny Testaverde will be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as part of its Class of 2013, the National Football Foundation announced Monday.
One of the greatest quarterbacks in Hurricanes' history, Testaverde went 23-3 as a starter playing for legendary coaches Howard Schnellenberger and Hall of Famer Jimmy Johnson.
"Congrats to one of the greatest #Canes of all-time, QB Vinny Testaverde, who will be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame," tweeted current Hurricanes coach Al Golden.
During his senior season in 1986, Testaverde became Miami's first Heisman Trophy winner and was a unanimous first-team All-American.
Testaverde led Miami to three straight bowl games, and finished his collegiate career with 6,000-plus passing yards and 48 touchdown passes.
Testaverde went No. 1 overall to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 1987 NFL draft. He played professionally for 21 years with seven different teams.
The 1998 All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowl selection finished his NFL career seventh all-time in passing yards (46,233) and eighth in touchdowns (275).
Testaverde will become the seventh Miami Hurricane player and 10th overall to be enshrined into the College Football Hall of Fame.
He joins Bennie Blades (2006), Don Bosseler (1990), Andy Gustafson (1985), Jack Harding (1980), Ted Hendricks (1987), Jimmy Johnson (2012), Russell Maryland (2011), Gino Torretta (2009) and Arnold Tucker (2008).
- Alabama's Nick Saban Saddened by ex-assistant Coach's Comments
- ACC eyes MSG, Barclays Center as possible hoop venues
- Top Prep Basketball Recruit Andrew Wiggins Joins Kansas
- Michigan's Brady Hoke Hits Notre Dame for Pulling out of Rivalry Game
- Incoming Freshman Noah Vonleh Could Remain Hoosier for four years
- NCAA Allows Review of Shot-Clock Violation, Out-of-Bounds Calls in Last 2 Minutes
- The NCAA's Injured and Abandoned Athletes
- Miami great Vinny Testaverde to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame
- No. 1 North Carolina Just Fifth Seed in NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament
- Post-tumult, Forward Junior Etou Opts to Play for Rutgers
- Jon Scheyer Joins Duke's Coaching Staff
- Big Ten Approves Divisional Overhaul and Nine-Game Schedule
- Bobby Bowden to Attend Two Florida State Games
- BCS Commissioners Agree on Playoff Name and Venues
- Big Ten to Rename, Realign Divisions in 2014
- Notre Dame to Play Five ACC Football Games in 2014
- Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Coach Suspended for Verbal Abuse
- Rutgers Reaches $475K Agreement with Fired Basketball Coach
- Oregon Admits NCAA Rules Violations in Deposition
- Rutgers Negotiating Eddie Jordan for Head Coaching Vacancy
- Yale Wins First NCAA National Hockey Title
- Rutgers President Under Scrutiny for Handling of Ex-Basketball Coach
- Richard Pitino to Coach Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Louisville Guard Kevin Ware Undergoes Successful Leg Surgery
- UCLA Hires Coach Steve Alford Away from New Mexico
- Basketball Head Coach Brad Stevens Staying at Butler
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved