Top Prep Basketball Recruit Andrew Wiggins Joins Kansas
Andrew Wiggins, the nation's top recruit, has selected the Kansas as his college destination and stepping stone to his dream of making it to the NBA.
Wiggins, who picked Kansas over Florida State, Kentucky and North Carolina, is expected to create an immediate impact for the Jayhawks, who will play without five starters from their last season's Sweet 16 squad.
Wiggins, a 6-8 forward from Huntington Prep in West Virginia, won the American Family Insurance USA Today Player of the Year after scoring 23.4 points and grabbed 11.2 rebounds per game this season.
"Obviously, everyone in Jayhawk-land is overwhelmed and excited today," Kansas coach Bill Self said in a statement. "This was a pleasant surprise because we never had an idea which way he was leading. Andrew did this the exact way he said he was going to."
"I knew we were one of four. The competition was very stiff and we were fortunate that we were able to ink him today. He's a tremendous talent and a terrific kid. Probably an even better kid than he is a talent," Self added.
Self said Wiggins will bring athleticism, length and scoring ability to the Jayhawks, who now have the No. 2 recruiting class in the country behind Kentucky.
Wiggins will be thrown into action early after the Jayhawks lost all of their five starters from last year's Sweet 16 squad, including freshman standout Ben McLemore, who averaged 15.9 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.
McLemore has decided to join the June's NBA draft where he could go as high as No. 2 while Jeff Withey, Travis Releford and Elijah Johnson played their senior year last season.
Self will have sophomores Perry Ellis and Jamari Traylor and junior guard Naadir Tharpe as the significant returnees from last year's team.
Aside from Wiggins, the Jayhawks also have two other five-star recruits in center Joel Embiid and wing Wayne Selden and two top-50 prospects in guard Conner Frankamp and forward Brannen Greene.
"We need to have a great recruiting class because we lost so many guys on a team that did pretty well this year," Self said.
- Suspect Behind Howard's Rock Vandalism Arrested, Charged
- Southern Cal and Notre Dame Extend Football Series
- Oregon gets slap on wrist for recruitment violations
- Penn State Gives football coach Bill O'Brien $935K salary increase
- UCLA Recruits 8th-grade Texas QB Lindell Stone
- Clemson's Iconic Howard's Rock Vandalized
- NCAA Lifts Postseason Ban on UConn Men's Basketball Team
- Johns Hopkins and Maryland to Join Big Ten Men's Lacrosse
- Rutgers Postpones AD Julie Hermann's On-Campus Meetings
- Art Shell, Frank Cignetti Named to College Football Hall of Fame
- Nick Saban Says 9-game SEC Conference Schedule Should Boost Fan Interest
- Another Controversy Hits New Rutgers AD Julie Hermann
- Duke Downs Syracuse for Second Straight NCAA Lacrosse Title
- Rutgers Getting Another 'Abuser' in New AD Julie Hermann?
- Top Prep Cornerback Jabrill Peppers Picks Michigan
- Notre Dame Loses Everett Golson due to Academics
- Ohio State Boosts 2014 class with commitment from Booker
- Alabama's Nick Saban Saddened by ex-assistant Coach's Comments
- ACC eyes MSG, Barclays Center as possible hoop venues
- Top Prep Basketball Recruit Andrew Wiggins Joins Kansas
- Michigan's Brady Hoke Hits Notre Dame for Pulling out of Rivalry Game
- Incoming Freshman Noah Vonleh Could Remain Hoosier for four years
- NCAA Allows Review of Shot-Clock Violation, Out-of-Bounds Calls in Last 2 Minutes
- The NCAA's Injured and Abandoned Athletes
- Miami great Vinny Testaverde to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame
- No. 1 North Carolina Just Fifth Seed in NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament
- Post-tumult, Forward Junior Etou Opts to Play for Rutgers
- Jon Scheyer Joins Duke's Coaching Staff
- Big Ten Approves Divisional Overhaul and Nine-Game Schedule
- Bobby Bowden to Attend Two Florida State Games
- BCS Commissioners Agree on Playoff Name and Venues
- Big Ten to Rename, Realign Divisions in 2014
- Notre Dame to Play Five ACC Football Games in 2014
- Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Coach Suspended for Verbal Abuse
- Rutgers Reaches $475K Agreement with Fired Basketball Coach
- Oregon Admits NCAA Rules Violations in Deposition
- Rutgers Negotiating Eddie Jordan for Head Coaching Vacancy
- Yale Wins First NCAA National Hockey Title
- Rutgers President Under Scrutiny for Handling of Ex-Basketball Coach
- Richard Pitino to Coach Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Louisville Guard Kevin Ware Undergoes Successful Leg Surgery
- UCLA Hires Coach Steve Alford Away from New Mexico
- Basketball Head Coach Brad Stevens Staying at Butler
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved