Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
by Cesar Tordesillas
Northwestern Wildcats coach Pat Fitzgerald says he's happy to move the conversation toward football and away from union matters.
He expressed his sentiment in relation to Wednesday's ruling of the National Labor Relations Board that the players are employees under the definition established by federal labor law.
"So, as I move forward, I'm coaching my football team, and that's my focus," said Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald still has to address players as they left for break between the winter and spring quarters.
He said the issue has not been a distraction for his program and that his relationship with his players has been "outstanding" and will not change.
The NLRB has ordered an election among all Northwestern scholarship football players with eligibility remaining.
Northwestern has said it will appeal the decision.
The situation was triggered by the announcement last Jan. 28 of former Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter, the College Athletes Players Association and the United Steelworkers to form the union.
Fitzgerald had testified against the union on Feb. 21.
He said then that he tells players that academics "is their priority," and he had said he has known players who ended up going to medical school. Fitzgerald also cited his time juggling football and academics when he was an All-American linebacker at Northwestern in the 1990s.
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, Campus Insiders
"Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters"