San Antonio, TX
DeAndre Kane had 24 points and 10 rebounds as the Iowa State Cyclones edged the North Carolina Tar Heels, 85-83 Sunday at AT&T Center to advance to the Sweet 16.
Big 12 player of the year Melvin Ejim scored 19 while Monte Morris added 13 points for the No.3 seed Iowa State (28-7).
Kane scored 15 points in the first period including Iowa State's last nine as the Cyclones took a 40-37 lead at halftime.
No. 6 seed North Carolina (24-10) took control midway in the second half with a 14-2 run as the Tar Heels established a 70-62 lead.
But Iowa State scored eight unanswered points with Naz Long and Morris hitting 3-pointers and Ejim adding a layup to tie the game at 76.
The game was tied at 81 with 50 seconds left after the teams exchanged baskets.
Then Ejim had a steal against Marcus Paige that led to an assist to Kane for the winning layup with 1.6 seconds left.
Iowa State faces No. 7 seed Connecticut in the East Regional semifinals at Madison Square Garden next week.
Paige led North Carolina with 19 points and Kennedy Meeks had 15 points and 13 rebounds.
Iowa State Leans on DeAndre Kane, Melvin Ejim to Escape UNC
Iowa State earns Sweet 16 Berth with 85-83 victory over North Carolina
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Iowa State Leans on DeAndre Kane, Melvin Ejim to Escape UNC"