Shabazz Napier Sizzles as UConn edges Michigan State
by Fitzgerald Cecilio
New York, NY
Shabazz Napier poured 17 of his 25 points in the second half as UConn overcame a nine-point deficit en route to a 60-54 win over Michigan State in Sunday's East Regional final at Madison Square Garden.
With the victory, the Huskies became the second 7th seed ever to reach the Final Four. Virginia made the Final Four in 1984 and lost in the National Semifinals to Houston. Rick Carlisle and Olden Polynice were on that Virginia team.
Kevin Ollie became the fourth coach in the last 20 years to reach the Final Four within his first two seasons as a Division I head coach, joining VCU's Shaka Smart, Indiana's Mike Davis and North Carolina's Bill Guthridge. However, none of the other three coaches won the National Championship.
The Huskies will take on will face No. 1 seed Florida on April 5 in Airlington, Texas.
Napier also added six boards and four assists, DeAndre Daniels chipped in 12 points and eight rebounds while Ryan Boatright had 11 for the (30-8), who knocked off second-seeded Villanova and third-seeded Iowa State before beating the Spartans.
Gary Harris scored 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting while Adreian Payne added 13 points and nine boards for the Spartans, who led by as many as nine early in the second half before Napier took over.
This marked the first time that coach Tom Izzo and the Spartans have lost in the Elite Eight as the higher seed.
Napier scored seven of his output during a pivotal 12-0 run that turned UConn's nine-point deficit into a 35-32 lead with under 12 minutes left.
Napier then sank all three free throws after being fouled by Keith Appling from beyond the arc, giving UConn a 56-51 lead with 30.6 seconds left.
Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
All season long Doug McDermott has been the frontrunner for the player of the year, but Campus Insiders' Jordan Cornette says there's a more deserving student-athlete and he just led UConn to the Final Four
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Shabazz Napier Sizzles as UConn edges Michigan State"