Branden Dawson Powers Michigan State Past Virginia
New York, NY
Branden Dawson had 24 points and 10 rebounds to help the Michigan State Spartans top the Virginia Cavaliers, 61-59 at Madison Square Garden.
Adreian Payne added 16 points for the win, which puts the Spartans in a tourney regional final.
Behind 31-27 at halftime, Malcolm Brogdon scored eight as Virgina opened up the second half with a 9-1 run to take a 36-32 lead.
Michigan State (29-8) went on a 13-2 run to go up 49-42 with 6:10 to go.
Virginia (30-7) answered with a 7-0 run to tie the game at 51 with 1:51 left.
The Payne hit a 3-pointer followed by a Dawson dunk that gave Michigan State a 56-61 advantage.
Joe Harris hit a 3 with 39 seconds left to bring Virginia within 56-54 but Payne made two free throws to push Michigan State's lead to 58-54.
Brogdon hit a 3 with 1.1 seconds left to bring Virginia within 60-59, but Gary Harris made one of two free throws and Justin Anderson's 3-point attempt for Virginia was off the mark.
With the win, fourth-seeded Michigan State advances to play Connecticut (29-8) Sunday for a Final Four berth.
Joe Harris and Brogdon each had 17 points for Virginia, which became the second No. 1 seed to be eliminated, joining Wichita State.
Virginia Falls to Michigan State in Sweet 16
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Branden Dawson Powers Michigan State Past Virginia"