Dayton Downs Stanford, Reaches Elite Eight
Jordan Sibert scored 18 points as Dayton advanced to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament with an 82-72 win over Stanford Thursday at FedEx Forum.
Kendall Pollard and Devin Oliver added 12 points apiece while Matt Kavanaugh had 10 as the Flyers (26-10) advanced to the last eight for the first time since 1984.
With the victory, Dayton became the sixth team in the history of the NCAA Tournament to make it to the Elite 8 as an 11-seed, joining Temple (2001), George Mason (2006), Davidson (2008) and VCU (2011).
During its last Elite Eight stint, Dayton lost to Georgetown in the regional final. The Flyers go for a Final Four berth against the winner of Florida-UCLA showdown, which will be played later Thursday.
Chasson Randle finished with 21 points but he shot just 5-for-21 from the floor while three other players scored in double digits for the Cardinal (23-13).
Dwight Powell recorded 17 points and nine boards, Stefan Nastic added 15 while Josh Huestis scored 13 for the Cardinal, who received just two points from their reserves compared to 34 by Dayton.
Dayton made six of 13 attempts from beyond the arc to take a 42-32 lead at the break.
The Cardinal trimmed the gap to 49-45 early in the second half but the Flyers responded with an 8-0 run to pad their lead to 57-45 and were never threatened from there.
Dayton Flying Into Elite 8
Chris DiSano joins Campus Insiders' Bonnie Bernstein to discuss Dayton's continued success in the tournament and if Archie Miller will fly away after his team's deep run
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Dayton Downs Stanford, Reaches Elite Eight"