Steve Masiello's lack of a college degree served as a deal breaker for a head coaching job with the University of South Florida.
USF athletic director Mark Harlan had reached an agreement for five years at more than $1 million per season with Masiello, who is coming off a coaching stint with Manhattan College.
The deal was contingent on the accuracy of Masiello's résumé, which included having earned a bachelor's degree as prescribed by USF policy for full-time coaching hires.
The University of Kentucky Office of Public Relations confirmed that Masiello was a student there from 1996 to 2000 and was a walk-on basketball player but never received a degree.
Eastman & Beaudine, a Texas-based search firm that hired by USF, found the résumé discrepancy.
Masiello's official biography with Manhattan College indicated that he is described a 2000 graduate of the University of Kentucky with a degree in communications.
Pitino told ESPN that he was "shocked" and "had no idea" Masiello never graduated from Kentucky. "When I left (UK for the NBA), he was on track to graduate," Pitino said.
USF is replacing Stan Heath, who was fired March 14 after a 12-20 season, bringing his seven-year record to 97-130.
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Lack of College Degree Kills Steve Masiello's Coaching Deal with USF"