Florida Basketball Coach Billy Donovan (Photo: Mark Trammell
Florida has signed head basketball coach Billy Donovan to a three-year contract extension that will keep him with the team through the 2018-2019 season.
Donovan agreed to an extension last summer but the deal was not finalized and executed until last month.
With the extension, Donovan's paycheck will go up $100,000 each year to just more than $3.6 million a year. He also gets a one-time longevity payment of $250,000 for this season.
Donovan, who turns 49 in May, has been the head coach at Florida for 18 seasons and recently passed Dale Brown for No. 2 on the SEC's all-time list of victories by a basketball coach, trailing only Adolph Rupp.
As part of the agreement, Donovan had a non-compete clause, requiring him to refrain from coaching in the NBA for five years as one of the terms of his release from the Orlando Magic contract.
This was Donovan's first full season at Florida since the Orlando agreement had expired, releasing him to talk to another NBA team if he wants after the Gators' current season ends. And last week at the South Region play in the arena where he would have coached in the NBA, the subject came up again.
Earlier, Donovan was rumored to be one of the candidates for the New York Knicks coaching job.
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014, AHN - All Rights Reserved
"Florida Signs Basketball Coach Billy Donovan to Contract Extension"