by Cesar Tordesillas
DeAndre Daniels had 20 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Connecticut Huskies past overall No. 1 seed Florida, 63-53 Saturday at AT&T Stadium.
Shabazz Napier finished with 12 points and six assists and got the better of Scott Wilbekin in a matchup of conference players of the year.
UConn shot 55.8 percent (24 of 43) from the field while Florida just had 38.8 percent from the field (19 of 49) and was just 1 for 10 from 3-point range.
Florida's suffocating defense followed by a 7-0 run that was capped by a drive by Scott Wilbekin with 9:47 to play allowed them a 16-4 lead.
UConn (31-8) made four straight shots, and three of them from beyond the 3-point line with two by Daniels, igniting a 17-5 run for its first lead of the game, 21-20 with 3:18 left in the half.
A fadeaway jumper by Daniels put UConn up 25-22 at halftime .
UConn started the second half with a 6-0 run capped by a Napier 3-pointer to widen the gap at 31-22.
The Huskies stretched the lead to 37-27 with 13:10 left after a Ryan Boatright driving layup.
Florida (36-3) came within 43-40 with 8:03 left, but never threatened again.
Uconn outscored Florida 8-1 in the next sequence to make it 51-41 with 5:37 left.
Patric Young scored six points in a 6-2 burst to make it 53-47 with still 4:09 left to keep the hopes alive for Florida.
But six unanswered points by UConn buried Florida 59-47 with 2:04 remaining.
Young had 19 points to lead Florida. Wilbekin and 3-point specialist Michael Frazier II were shut down on offense, combining for just seven points.
UConn plays Kentucky for the national championship Monday.
UConn's Secret Weapon Defeating Florida
Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright get most of the headlines, but one of their teammates is the reason the Huskies are heading to another National Championship. Campus Insiders' Bonnie Bernstein and Jordan Cornette are in North Texas where Kevin Ollie's perfect plan ended the Gators' 30-game winning streak
- Jeff Driskel and Florida Improve Offensively
- Is Mark Richt Holding Georgia Back?
- Life Without Johnny Football: Top Questions Facing Texas A&M
- Is Youth the X-Factor for LSU This Season?
- Where Alabama Needs the Most Improvement
- Is South Carolina an SEC East Favorite?
- Ruling Could Mean Future Shock for College Football
- UConn Tops Kentucky in NCAA Men's Basketball Championship
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: UConn Postgame Reaction
- Inside the 2014 NCAA Championship: Kentucky Postgame Reaction
- NCAA Men's Championship Preview: Kentucky vs UConn
- Seth Davis Predicts The National Champion
- A Sophomore Saving Kentucky Wildcats
- Final Four: Aaron Harrison Trey Lifts Kentucky over Wisconsin
- Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida
- Fearsome Final Foursome Head to North Texas
- Four Storylines Heading into the Final Four
- Northwestern Coach Wants Focus on Football, Not Union Matters
- Florida's Four Seniors Propel Gators into Final Four
- The Importance Behind Bo Ryan's First Trip to the Final Four
- Shabazz Napier Follows in Kemba Walker's Footsteps
- Mike Montgomery Pushes for Travis DeCuire as Replacement at Cal
- Football Playoff System, Heisman Contenders, and Top College Atmospheres
- Shabazz Napier: College Basketball's Best Player
- The Fall of the Michigan State Spartans
- Bo Ryan: College Basketball's Most Underrated Coach
- The Player Most Vital to the Wisconsin Badgers Success
- Why Florida has the Best Frontline in College Basketball
Article: Copyright © 2014
"Final Four: DeAndre Daniels Pushes UConn Past Florida"