Duke Downs Syracuse for Second Straight NCAA Lacrosse Title
Josh Dionne and Jordan Wolf scored three goals apiece to carry Duke to its second national lacrosse trophy with a 16-10 victory over Syracuse in Monday's title game before 28,224 fans at Lincoln Financial Field.
Jake Tripucka added two goals and two assists while sophomore goaltender Kyle Turri made nine saves for the Blue Devils, who outshot the Orange, 46-33.
In the early part of the game, the Orange, playing in their 17th national title game, had an easier time finding routes to the net against Turri, taking a 5-0 lead in the first 16 minutes.
The Blue Devils finally got on the board at 12:54 of the second quarter with a goal from Wolf. After that, there was no stopping Duke's offense that was considered one of the best scoring units in the nation.
After outshooting Duke, 15-10, in the first quarter, the Orange attempted just nine shots over the next two periods.
At one point, the Orange were held scoreless for more than 22 minutes. Brendan Fowler won 12 consecutive draws while Duke went on a 12-1 run after falling behind, 6-1.
In the fourth, Syracuse tried three different players on face-offs but none were effective against Fowler, who finished 20 of 28 for the game.
Earlier, Fowler set an NCAA record with 319 face-off wins this season.
- Suspect Behind Howard's Rock Vandalism Arrested, Charged
- Southern Cal and Notre Dame Extend Football Series
- Oregon gets slap on wrist for recruitment violations
- Penn State Gives football coach Bill O'Brien $935K salary increase
- UCLA Recruits 8th-grade Texas QB Lindell Stone
- Clemson's Iconic Howard's Rock Vandalized
- NCAA Lifts Postseason Ban on UConn Men's Basketball Team
- Johns Hopkins and Maryland to Join Big Ten Men's Lacrosse
- Rutgers Postpones AD Julie Hermann's On-Campus Meetings
- Art Shell, Frank Cignetti Named to College Football Hall of Fame
- Nick Saban Says 9-game SEC Conference Schedule Should Boost Fan Interest
- Another Controversy Hits New Rutgers AD Julie Hermann
- Duke Downs Syracuse for Second Straight NCAA Lacrosse Title
- Rutgers Getting Another 'Abuser' in New AD Julie Hermann?
- Top Prep Cornerback Jabrill Peppers Picks Michigan
- Notre Dame Loses Everett Golson due to Academics
- Ohio State Boosts 2014 class with commitment from Booker
- Alabama's Nick Saban Saddened by ex-assistant Coach's Comments
- ACC eyes MSG, Barclays Center as possible hoop venues
- Top Prep Basketball Recruit Andrew Wiggins Joins Kansas
- Michigan's Brady Hoke Hits Notre Dame for Pulling out of Rivalry Game
- Incoming Freshman Noah Vonleh Could Remain Hoosier for four years
- NCAA Allows Review of Shot-Clock Violation, Out-of-Bounds Calls in Last 2 Minutes
- The NCAA's Injured and Abandoned Athletes
- Miami great Vinny Testaverde to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame
- No. 1 North Carolina Just Fifth Seed in NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved