Wichita State Shocks Ohio State, Dances into Final Four
NCAA College Basketball
Los Angeles, CA
Malcolm Armstead scored 14 points while Cleanthony Early and Fred Van Vleet each chipped in with 12 points as the Wichita State Shockers danced onto the Final Four with a 70-66 stunner over the Ohio State Buckeyes Saturday at Staples Center.
The Shockers are true to their name, stunning the nation once again with another big upset against the tourney favorite Buckeyes.
After topping La Salle in their Sweet 16 showdown, Wichita State carried the momentum and ran their explosive offense to perfection early on.
The Shockers caught the Buckeyes napping in almost every possession early on as they went on to take a commanding 35-22 lead at the break.
In the second half, Wichita State continued to execute its offense well and even padded the lead to as much as 20 points.
However, the Buckeyes came up with a late spurt to keep them within striking distance down the stretch.
Deshaun Thomas, a first-round prospect in the upcoming NBA draft, finished with a game-high 23 points while Sweet 16 hero LaQuinton Ross added 19 for the Buckeyes.
Wichita State became the first No.9 seed to advance to the Final Four since Pennsylvania accomplished the same feat in 1979.
Malcolm Armstead scored 14 points, Fred Van Vleet bounced in a big basket with one minute left, and ninth-seeded Wichita State earned its first trip to the Final Four since 1965 with a 70-66 victory over the Buckeyes on Saturday
Wichita State vs. Ohio State highlights
- Rutgers Negotiating Eddie Jordan for Head Coaching Vacancy
- Yale Wins First NCAA National Hockey Title
- Michigan Survives Late Syracuse Rally
- Hancock and Smith Shine as Louisville Advances to NCAA Title Game
- Rutgers President Under Scrutiny for Handling of Ex-Basketball Coach
- Richard Pitino to Coach Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Louisville Guard Kevin Ware Undergoes Successful Leg Surgery
- Louisville Blows by Duke to Second Straight Final Four Appearance
- Nik Stauskas Lifts Michigan to Final Four for First Time in 20 Years
- Wichita State Shocks Ohio State, Dances into Final Four
- Syracuse Shuts Down Marquette, 55-39
- UCLA Hires Coach Steve Alford Away from New Mexico
- Florida Ends Florida Gulf Coasts's Cinderella Run
- Florida Outhustles Florida Gulf Coast
- Russ Smith Scores 31 as Louisville Ousts Oregon
- Michigan Caps Comeback with OT Victory over Kansas
- Seth Curry Leads Duke Past Michigan State
- Basketball Head Coach Brad Stevens Staying at Butler
- UCLA Said to be Targeting Butler Coach Brad Stevens
- Michael Carter-Williams Stars as Syracuse Upsets Top Seed Indiana
- LaQuinton Ross Trey Lifts Ohio State Past Arizona, into Elite Eight
- Marquette Dominates Miami in Sweet 16
- Wichita State Cruises Past La Salle
- Florida Gulf Coast Trying to Stay Focused
- Florida Gulf Coast Coach Enfield Denies Having Vast Wealth
- Cowboys Stadium to Host 2015 BCS Football Title Game
- 2013 NCAA Tournament Photo Reflections
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved