Michael Carter-Williams Stars as Syracuse Upsets Top Seed Indiana
NCAA College Basketball
Michael Carter-Williams fired a career-high 24 points as fourth seed Syracuse's zone defense limited top-ranked Indiana to its lowest output this season en route to a 61-50 upset victory Thursday in the Sweet 16 at Verizon Center.
The win put the Orange in an Elite Eight showdown with Marquette for a spot in the Final Four. They are the first schools from the same conference to meet in the Elite Eight since another pair of Big East schools -- Villanova and Pittsburgh - met in 2009.
The Orange, who made it to the Elite Eight for the ninth time, improved to 59-35 in NCAA Tournament games while Hall of Fame head coach Jim Boeheim raised his record to 51-27, ranking him fourth in career coaching wins in the event.
Aside from his personal-best scoring output, Carter-Williams also had six rebounds and four steals, backcourt partner Brandon Triche recorded 14 points and C.J. Fair posted 11 points and grabbed a team-high nine boards.
"Indiana presents a lot of problems offensively and we wanted to get on their 3-point shooters," said Boeheim. "We did not want to let them get good looks and we did that -- defensively we got back inside quickly on their big guys when they tried to finish around the basket."
Syracuse's defense limited Indiana to 33.3 percent from the field (16-for-49) and 20 percent (3-for-15) from beyond the arc. The Orange Syracuse also forced 19 turnovers, 12 in the first half to take a 34-22 lead at the break.
Victor Oladipo scored 16 points while Christian Watford added 13 for the Hoosiers, who shot just 28.6 percent and had 16 turnovers against Syracuse's zone defense.
Cody Zeller was limited to 10 points on 3-for-11 tries and had five of his 11 attempts blocked inside the zone.
A basket by Carter-Williams and a triple by James Southerland gave the Orange an early 11-3 advantage. Then, the Orange launched a short 10-4 burst to stretch their lead to 18-7.
The Orange stretched their lead to 18 points, 29-11, after a layup by C.J. Fair before Oladipo halted the 11-4 run with a layup.
Syracuse, behind Michael Carter-Williams, eliminates top seed Indiana 61-50 to advance to the East final where they will face Marquette in the Elite Eight
Syracuse vs. Indiana highlights
- Rutgers Negotiating Eddie Jordan for Head Coaching Vacancy
- Yale Wins First NCAA National Hockey Title
- Michigan Survives Late Syracuse Rally
- Hancock and Smith Shine as Louisville Advances to NCAA Title Game
- Rutgers President Under Scrutiny for Handling of Ex-Basketball Coach
- Richard Pitino to Coach Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Louisville Guard Kevin Ware Undergoes Successful Leg Surgery
- Louisville Blows by Duke to Second Straight Final Four Appearance
- Nik Stauskas Lifts Michigan to Final Four for First Time in 20 Years
- Wichita State Shocks Ohio State, Dances into Final Four
- Syracuse Shuts Down Marquette, 55-39
- UCLA Hires Coach Steve Alford Away from New Mexico
- Florida Ends Florida Gulf Coasts's Cinderella Run
- Florida Outhustles Florida Gulf Coast
- Russ Smith Scores 31 as Louisville Ousts Oregon
- Michigan Caps Comeback with OT Victory over Kansas
- Seth Curry Leads Duke Past Michigan State
- Basketball Head Coach Brad Stevens Staying at Butler
- UCLA Said to be Targeting Butler Coach Brad Stevens
- Michael Carter-Williams Stars as Syracuse Upsets Top Seed Indiana
- LaQuinton Ross Trey Lifts Ohio State Past Arizona, into Elite Eight
- Marquette Dominates Miami in Sweet 16
- Wichita State Cruises Past La Salle
- Florida Gulf Coast Trying to Stay Focused
- Sweet 16 Preview: Florida Gulf Coast vs. Florida
- Sweet 16 Preview: Michigan St vs. Duke
- Sweet 16 Preview: Syracuse vs. Indiana
- Sweet 16 Preview: Oregon vs. Louisville
- Sweet 16 Preview: La Salle vs. Wichita State
- Sweet 16 Preview: Michigan vs. Kansas
- Shaka Smart Agrees to Stay at VCU until 2023
- Notre Dame Losses All Four 2012 Class Players
- Northwestern Close to Head Coaching Deal with Chris Collins
- Florida Gulf Coast Coach Enfield Denies Having Vast Wealth
- Cowboys Stadium to Host 2015 BCS Football Title Game
- 2013 NCAA Tournament Photo Reflections
- Hoops Hysteria: Florida - FGCU Preview
- Hoops Hysteria: Kansas - Michigan Sweet 16 Preview
- Hoops Hysteria: Ohio St - Arizona Sweet 16 Preview
- Minnesota Fires Basketball Coach Tubby Smith
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved