Florida Outhustles Florida Gulf Coast
NCAA College Basketball
The Florida Gators made a 16-0 run late in the first half versus the FGCU Eagles on the way to a 62-50 victory in Friday's Sweet Sixteen tourney game.
Mike Rosario led Florida (29-7) with 15 points. Scottie Wilbekin added 13 points and Casey Prather 11.
FCDU (26-11) jumped out to an early 11-point lead sparked by forward Chase Fieler's 3-pointer from the top of the key.
After Brett Comer stole a pass, he ran down the court and threw up an alley-oop pass for the trailing Sherwood Brown for a slam. Comer then flipped another backward pass to Bernard Thompson for a 3-pointer.
Then Fielder had another 3-pointer -- less than 3 minutes after the first one -- for a 15-4 lead only six minutes into the game.
A Brown tip-in at 10:23 of the first half restored FCDU's 11 point lead at 17-6.
The Eagles still maintained a two-digit lead at 24-14 with over five minutes left when when Michael Frazier connected two consecutive 3-point shots to pull the lead down to 24-20 with 4:21 left in the first half.
Eagles coach Andy Enfield then angrily called timeout, but that didn't stop the Gators, who scored 10 more points to complete the 16-0 run and take a 30-24 lead. Brown's layup cut the Gators lead to 30-26 at the half.
But Florida scored the first seven points of the second half to push their lead to 37-26.
The Gators outscored the Eagles 23-2 in 6 1/2 minute span from the late first half to the early second half.
The Eagles never threatened again and soon their NCAA run was over.
Florida is going to its third straight NCAA regional final. They play Michigan in the South Regional final at Cowboys Stadium on Sunday in trying to get to their first NCAA Final Four since consecutive national championships in 2006 and 2007.
Brown led FGCU with 14 points, and Fieler had 12. FGCU's 50 point total matched its season low.
"It was great to see the excitement across the country with the underdog and it's just a real feeling when you're the underdog and you're the talk of the nation," FGCU coach Andy Enfield said. "It was unbelievable to see the excitement and passion of not only our local community, the students, but also the national level. `Our players believed, and they accomplished something special."
Mike Rosario had 15 points and 5 boards to lead Florida to a 62-50 victory over cinderella, Florida Gulf Coast on Friday night
Florida Gulf Coast vs. Florida highlights
- Rutgers Negotiating Eddie Jordan for Head Coaching Vacancy
- Yale Wins First NCAA National Hockey Title
- Michigan Survives Late Syracuse Rally
- Hancock and Smith Shine as Louisville Advances to NCAA Title Game
- Rutgers President Under Scrutiny for Handling of Ex-Basketball Coach
- Richard Pitino to Coach Minnesota Golden Gophers
- Louisville Guard Kevin Ware Undergoes Successful Leg Surgery
- Louisville Blows by Duke to Second Straight Final Four Appearance
- Nik Stauskas Lifts Michigan to Final Four for First Time in 20 Years
- Wichita State Shocks Ohio State, Dances into Final Four
- Syracuse Shuts Down Marquette, 55-39
- UCLA Hires Coach Steve Alford Away from New Mexico
- Florida Ends Florida Gulf Coasts's Cinderella Run
- Florida Outhustles Florida Gulf Coast
- Russ Smith Scores 31 as Louisville Ousts Oregon
- Michigan Caps Comeback with OT Victory over Kansas
- Seth Curry Leads Duke Past Michigan State
- Basketball Head Coach Brad Stevens Staying at Butler
- UCLA Said to be Targeting Butler Coach Brad Stevens
- Michael Carter-Williams Stars as Syracuse Upsets Top Seed Indiana
- LaQuinton Ross Trey Lifts Ohio State Past Arizona, into Elite Eight
- Marquette Dominates Miami in Sweet 16
- Wichita State Cruises Past La Salle
- Florida Gulf Coast Trying to Stay Focused
- Sweet 16 Preview: Florida Gulf Coast vs. Florida
- Sweet 16 Preview: Michigan St vs. Duke
- Sweet 16 Preview: Syracuse vs. Indiana
- Sweet 16 Preview: Oregon vs. Louisville
- Sweet 16 Preview: La Salle vs. Wichita State
- Sweet 16 Preview: Michigan vs. Kansas
- Shaka Smart Agrees to Stay at VCU until 2023
- Notre Dame Losses All Four 2012 Class Players
- Northwestern Close to Head Coaching Deal with Chris Collins
- Florida Gulf Coast Coach Enfield Denies Having Vast Wealth
- Cowboys Stadium to Host 2015 BCS Football Title Game
- 2013 NCAA Tournament Photo Reflections
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved