Santa Monica, CA
The Recording Academy has announced Wednesday the inductees for this year's Grammy Hall of Fame.
Now on its 40th year, the Grammy Hall of Fame highlights and recognizes excellence and diversity of music spanning different genres that has had historical impact in the last 25 years and more.
This year's 27 titles add up to the 933 titles accumulated through the years, displayed at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles.
NeilPortnow, President and CEO of The Recording Academy said, "With the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame celebrating 40 years, it's especially important to note that these entries continue the tradition of inducting a wide variety of recordings that have inspired and influenced both fans and music makers for generations."
"Memorable for being both culturally and historically significant, we are proud to add them to our growing catalog of outstanding recordings that have become part of our musical, social, and cultural history," Portnow added.
This year's inductees represent a diverse repertoire of albums and tracks, including AC/DC's 'Back In Black' album and Billy Joel's single, 'Piano Man.' Other inductees include Whitney Houston and Sir Elton John's self-titled albums, Paul McCartney & Wings' 'Band on the Run' album, Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" and Frank Sinatra's classic hit, 'New York, New York.'
The 55th Annual Grammy Awards will be held on Sunday, February 10, 2013 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, with live broadcast on CBS.
This year's Grammy Hall of Fame inductees are:
(Johnny Russell, Voni Morrison)
"AIN'T NOBODY HERE
BUT US CHICKENS"
Louis Jordan And His Tympany Five
(Joan Whitney, Alex Kramer)
"ALLONS À LAFAYETTE (LAFAYETTE)"
BACK IN BLACK
BAND ON THE RUN
Paul McCartney & Wings
(Traditional arr. Stepp)
Library of Congress (1937)
Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton
(Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller)
"I GOT YOU (I FEEL GOOD)"
JOHN COLTRANE AND JOHNNY HARTMAN
John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman
LOST IN THE STARS
Original Broadway Cast
Musical Show (Album)
MINGUS AH UM
"MY BLACK MAMA [PARTS 1 & 2]"
Francis Craig And His Orchestra
(Francis Craig & Kermit Goell)
(Jerry Leiber, Barry Mann,
Mike Stoller, Cynthia Weil)
Lennie Tristano Sextet
"EL DÍA QUE ME QUIERAS"
(Carlos Gardel, Alfredo Le Pera)
Uni Records (1970)
FOGGY MOUNTAIN BANJO
Lester Flatt, Earl Scruggs And The
Foggy Mountain Boys
HERE'S LITTLE RICHARD
"HIT THE ROAD JACK"
Memphis Jug Band
THAT NIGGER'S CRAZY
"THEME FROM 'NEW YORK, NEW YORK'"
(Fred Ebb & John Kander)
Traditional Pop (Single)
"THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'"
Ernest V. "Pop" Stoneman
(Ernest V. "Pop" Stoneman)
- New Album of Music Icon Jimi Hendrix to be Released
- Grammy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced
- Aerosmith Holds Free Concert in Front of Former Apartment in Boston
- Why Burning Man Inspires Me
- Nominees for 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Announced
- John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John Reunite for Christmas Album
- Foo Fighters to Take Indefinite Break from Playing
- Why Burning Man Inspires Me
- Green Day Announces Tour Dates for New Album Trilogy
- The Right Music for Every Part of Your Day
- Nominations for 2012 MTV Video Music Awards Announced
- New Beatles Compilation 'Tomorrow Never Knows' Hits iTunes
- Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers Among Inductees Into Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame
- It's Only The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, But
- Bruce Springsteen Captures The State of America
- Grammy Nominations Full of Snubs and Surprises
- Researchers Say Many Rap Songs Advertise for Alcohol Industry
- Lady Gaga and Britney Spears Win Big at 2011 MTV Video Music Awards
- 7 Things We Love About Justin Bieber
- Lady Gaga Records Duet with Cher
- A Half-Century On, Their Music Still Captures Youth
- Ten Great Songs About Places
- Barbra Streisand Returns with 'What Matters Most'
- Pitbull Earns First-Ever Top single with 'Give Me Everything'
- 'The Book Of Mormom' Skyrockets On Billboard 200 Albums Chart
- Get an Awesome Soundtrack to Your Summer
- When Pop Stars Become Pop Psychologists
- Aretha, Gaga and Barbra: Grammy Night, 2011!
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Few Penalties For Stars Behaving Badly
- Boy, Do We Like to Watch
- Frankly Speaking: A Great Frank Sinatra Biography
- Lady Gaga: Pop Sensation Transforms Music Video Culture
- Chatting It up With the Jonas Brothers
- Hot New Music for Your Playlist
- Will Lady Gaga Really Take Madonna's Crown?
- Music - Where the Best Unknown Bands Are Hiding
- Pink Flies High at the Grammys
- Barbra Streisand, Still Pitch-Perfect After All These Years
- Mariah Carey - This 'Imperfect Angel' Knows What Love Is
- 80s Acts Touring Again: Demand High for Forgotten Decade Music
Copyright 2012, AHN - All Rights Reserved